2 Nail Questions - ??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgy

Reaction score
Hiya All,

I just have 2 questions that I have been thinking about lately.

1. When refilling and backfilling acrylic nails (with french), how often should you "soak off" and start again. I understand that some tech's do it when the effort to perform the 2 services outways the time it takes to start again. How do other tech's alternate the refill/backfill service?
  2. Is it alright to drill out the natural nail from underneath the acrylic free edge? I know some salons do this. For some reasons where people get excessive lift (from tips or sculptures) on their free edge due to medication, they choose to get it filed off so they don't have to restart the processes too much. Is this generally alright?
Cheers,

Georgy
Nailtips.com.au Nail Technician Forum :: Index

Hiya All,

I just have 2 questions that I have been thinking about lately.
  1. When refilling and backfilling acrylic nails (with french), how often should you "soak off" and start again. I understand that some tech's do it when the effort to perform the 2 services outways the time it takes to start again. How do other tech's alternate the refill/backfill service? I cant see why it would be too much effort...i would have thought doing a soak off and new set more effort...i never do a full removal unless there is something wrong with them...i have clients that have been having infills now for 3 years...never removed them.
  2. Is it alright to drill out the natural nail from underneath the acrylic free edge? I know some salons do this. For some reasons where people get excessive lift (from tips or sculptures) on their free edge due to medication, they choose to get it filed off so they don't have to restart the processes too much. Is this generally alright?I would be horrified if someone drilled away my natural nails....why would removing the natural free edge via drilling it help with lifting...do you mean curling from the free edge...?? if so then caping the free edge is all thats needed....for me the whole point is to start with tips/sculpts until they have enough growth to be a NNO...unless they have hooked/ski jump nails....then i would remove and re-tip...but i would never drill away someones nails.
Cheers,

Georgy
Nailtips.com.au Nail Technician Forum :: Index

Hope this helps a bit. x

i would have to say i agree with bagpuss. the only time i do a new start is if a nail breaks. I never soak off and start again just fills after the full set.

for the second question i dont know why some places do that i dont have lifting under my free edge and they stil file my nail off.

Thanks for that girls. I know everyone has different ways of performing a service but its always nice to know why nail tech's do some things the they do. When I did my nail course last year, i didn't come across these questions. I am still learning new things every day :)

Thanks again,

Georgy

I agree with the geeks above..however would like to add:)...during a clients rebalance (as oppossed to just a quick fill) any "curling" needs to be adressed..during the clients reb app you do need to be looking at the natural nails free edge during the rebalance..if you see any evidence of the acrylic pulling away..then its as simple as blending away the lifted product and applying fresh (after prepping) to the natural nail.
I have found with keeping clients nail enhancements reguarly shortened at each appointment to their prior length, it pretty much keeps any curling at bay.
Plus retail those "curlers" your systems cuticle oil to use under the free edge as well as zone 3..this helps:)

Latest posts

Back