25% Off All Treatments in Jan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzyo

Reaction score
I had a mail from my fave local Salon / Spa here in Wolverhampton and they are offering 25% off *all* treatments in Jan.

My first reaction was oh dear they must be doing badly! But then I thought about it a bit more, Jan I imagine is generally a quiet month - this one more so then usual, so perhaps its a great way of actually increasing revenue for the month and encourage people to come in.

So what are you doing to get people through your door? Or what are your thoughts on this?

Mat xx

i gave clients £5 off vouchers to use in january. but also doing a promotion of a free back, neck and shoulder massage with every mini facial booked £30 and it takes me an hr.

i went home to hampshire for christmas and a local salon there des a welcome pack, presentated in a nice folder with samples and half price of your first hair and beauty treatment. i thought it was a fab idea and i used mine, and i didnt really have the money well worth it xx

I am doing buy one get one free on Spray Tans, Manicures, Pedicures and Express Facials at the moment......double the amount of word of mouth, potential clients is my way of thinking.....

I think all the reports are so scary on the tv and radio at the moment, everything is struggling I know people say dont undercut yourself but I feel I need to be realisitic, people want a bargain....personally I love a bargain so I always sit and think, what would entice me.....

For me personally 25% off WOULDNT bring me in.....not for something I wasnt going to have done regardless (if that makes sense)

My advice would be not to offer discounts but to offer 'promotions' e.g. with every leg wax get a free eye brow trim or with every facial get a free file and polish etc.

In my experience you'll find that with discount promotions i.e. 25% off, people will only get narked when they have to start paying full price again. You may only also drag in people whilst prices are cheap and then they may refer back to their original salon.

HTH

I've emailed 160 clients with a £5 voucher to use in January only. I did the same last year but for £2.50.

The hairdresser and I have made up small cards to give out to every client, her cards advertise me, my cards advertise her, and each client gets £5 off. So if they come to me they get a chance of £5 off a haircut, if they go to her they get £5 off a treatment with me.

I've also just put the voucher up on my website, so people can print it off and bring with them.

So far I've had 1 client use it.

At the moment I'm offering a free 15 minute head massage when people book in for a back massage.
Lots of salons near me have got hand written signs outside with huge % discounts and I don't personally want to look desperate.
Also once they have the added on head massage they may hopefully come for a longer massage next time, so I'll just have to see how it goes.

I done 20% off for Dec and Jan and have got tonnes of new clients from it and they are all aware that they have to go back to normal in Feb but I do a promotion every month so they are always getting something! I find it brings in new business and then people tell people etc also once they have had it once they tend to want it again especially spray tans etc

x

I went along the route of sending out discount vouchers to everyone in December to use against bookings in January, by way of a Christmas gift. Usually, I tend to use loyalty bonus cards, whereby the clients get a free treatment after they have had so many at full price. I also prefer the "added extra" approach, rather than money off as a rule. It is a tricky one....Naturally, I'd rather have bums on seats for half price than empty slots. However, I think that to the clients, if you can do a treatment at say, half price, then why are they charged double the rest of the time - just down to individual perceptions I know, but some people can feel ripped off when they then have to pay full price. Also it can give the impression that you have no business and so must not be as good? On the whole, I find that my clients appreciate a bonus, but when it comes to their personal care, they don't buy the cheapest available, but prefer to pay more for better care and attention. I love the idea of the welcome pack!

:)

I love the idea of a welcome pack as well, does anyone else do these? What of things do you put in them?

I've just recently opened and had to start building a client base, so i have offered all full body massages at half price and i'm really pleased with how it's worked. I've had loads of repeat business through it and it's making people aware that i'm there. How i'ts going to work next month when they go up to full price i don't know. but it's all trial and error for me at the moment. so far so good.

I've just recently opened and had to start building a client base, so i have offered all full body massages at half price and i'm really pleased with how it's worked. I've had loads of repeat business through it and it's making people aware that i'm there. How i'ts going to work next month when they go up to full price i don't know. but it's all trial and error for me at the moment. so far so good.
everytime I do a special offer on a massage I get the same people book in, they NEVER book in for anything else and NEVER pay full price for anything. I don't put the special offers on those treatments anymore.

I did a special offer where i had "purchase a facial and get a body wrap half price".

It worked really well for me because lots of people treated themselves or others to it and i could do the facial while they were in the wrap, which meant i wasn't using up as much time.

Perfect!

Oh yeah, sorry Matt, didn't answer your question, lol.

I give my clients a voucher in their christmas cards for either special offers or % off, emphasizing that it is due to their loyalty.

I also put a voucher in the hairdresser's cards but for a smaller percentage.

Because of this i tend to get quite a few people in during January but then go a bit quiet until valentine's day.

I don't like the offer your salon gave you because like you said, your first thought was that they were doing poorly. However, if they had emailed you some special offers you may have just thought, great, bargain!

I usually do a '£5.00 off treatments in January' voucher that I stick in a Christmas card & send to my clients.

IMO I personally never give too high discounts as I think it just shows clients what your margin must be e.g. if you offer 25% or more off treatments your margin must be pretty high for you to still make a profit. I think it could just make clients question your full rates more.

I do agree though with the 'buy one - get one half price' or whatever promotion though as you are still getting full payment for a treatment.

Em x

Latest posts

Back