31 and starting a hairdressing course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valentne

Reaction score
Hi there,

I wanted to know if there is anyone in my situation right now. I've been a photographer most of my life and I want to switch to hairdressing to gain more freedom as I'm always blocked in capitals such as London or Paris or Milan etc It's quite annoying as there is no other jobs if tomorrow I want to move somewhere slightly more isolated. I want to paint and I want to travel and be able to find work anywhere. Photography doesn't let me do that easily. You have to go, and build and stay there etc

Anyways, I love hair and I have been assisting for a few months a couple of years back but I want a better training. I can't afford Vidal Sassoon (sad sad sad), unless there is a way to take a loan and pay slowly while starting to make enough money but not sure that even exist as it's a private school.

I'm also recently with Universal Credit, and then saw lhaa was helping students to be funded as they combine nvq2 with 3.

Long story short, it will be hard to study and work, unless I get lucky and find an employer who let me off two days to study at the course. I'm looking for a loan or grants/funding to be able to pay my rent and study to find a job. I don't care how hard it can be I just want to make sure I can pay my rent meanwhile.

Apprenticeship isn't possible as for the first year I will make less than £4 an hour and there is no way I can live on that in London. Anyone has switch their career to hairdressing as an adult? It seems either so complicated or super expensive.

Please let me know if you have had similar experience, my head is exploding. I'm going to the opening of lhaa the 25th this month(do you have experience with this school? which one you recommend in London?), I wish if was sooner. Course start literally next month. I also have an appointment with Universal Credit and I'm hoping to ask them for help.

I mean it looks pretty simple but the whole system is so complicated. I'm just looking to switch and I'm ready for work.

Thanks all,
Vx

Latest posts

Back