5 Star Hotel Spa Interview

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayJay

Reaction score
Next week I have an interview with a spa in an upmarket hotel. The job would be nice because you're self employed and give a percentage to the hotel for products etc - people like Robbie Williams, Bruce Springsteen stay at the hotel.

They interview you first then if you pass that they bring you back for a trade test.

Anyway, can you think of any tricky questions they might ask? One I've thought of is 'What would you do if a male client propositioned you?' - Can anyone give me a good answer - I'd like to say 'slap him' but that wouldn't be very professional lol

I've been grabbing everyone I know and massaging them to death and doing french paints on every nail I find.

Spa's and hotels of that level trade on several things - quality of service and staff, the experience of the stay and discretion of staff. Think more about how you would treat a 'celebrity' differently to the a non-celeb guest. The answer - you treat all clients and residents with equal respect and professionalism.

When in hotels of this calibre the most annoying this is to be rushed, i'm paying a premium to stay there and use the Spa and I expect to be pampered, to be attended to and to be treated as a VIP. When I'm looking at the retail products I expect the staff to be incredibly knowledgeable about the range, to be able to make recommendations, but not to be pushy sales staff and to be waiting in the background when I need assistance but not hovering over me.

For the interview research the product range they use / retail, for example if its Espa find out about Espa products and Spa's. Is the hotel part of a group? For example if it was a Mandarin Oriental they are very well known and respected for the Spa's and spa experiences so research them a little for some background knowledge. What are their signature treatments? For example Mandarin Orientals have a 'Time Ritual' that is exclusive to them, a block of time where you discuss your treatment and what you would like with the therapist upon arrival for a customised experience.

Think about your fave treatments you love to give, why, what makes them special? What don't you like to give and why - and how would you ensure that the client gets the same enjoyment from that treatment as the one you love to do.

Your presentation, hair, makeup, dress will be very important. Have they given you guidelines on how to dress for the interview? Are they expecting Spa uniform or formal dress? No harm in giving a quick call and asking what the dress code is.

Remember to breath, be focused, be professional, be yourself and be confident in your abilities.

Good luck!

it looks as if its an interview first, then a trade test later, so would go smartly dressed.

fozzyo has given you EXCELLENT advice, definetly do your homework on the ranges that they use.

enthuse about your treatments, show your excitement and love for the treatments you do.

I had an interview at a top spa in my area, quite frankly, the research wouldn't have helped as they wanted to mould me to suit their needs (I turned the job down).

You probably haven't got time to do this, but if you could - make an appointment and have a treatment at the place, this will give you an invaluable insight into the workings and standards of the place.

I did work at the spa that I went for an interview with, but on a freelance basis, I went in annonymously and had a treatment before I stared working there, and I am so glad that I did! It gave me 'permission' to be myself as I knew I was BETTER than the service that I received.

On a ? of how would you deal with a proposition, and how would you treat clients, you KNOW the answers already. Relax and go with it.

I LOVE Kevin Costner, but if he had done that to me during a treatment, I would have probably walked out of the room.

Ladies, I can't thank you enough for the advice, great tips for me to use on Friday

The product line is Espa so I'll be spending the rest of the week researching.

I will let you know how it goes

How did it go?

Latest posts

Back