9 month old sleeping advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazmine

Reaction score
Hello, will try and keep this short. So from about 14 weeks my daughter was sleeping from 10pm-5, we got bed times after a few weeks 7pm-5 BLISS. She wasn't an still isn't a good sleeper in the day so she needs good sleep at night. December came and she had a bad cold-Xmas especially bad and she got all out of sync waking up every two hours. We had a few days of 7pm-3am an thought yes were getting back into routine. The early January bought two teeth, a virus and a bad case of diahrea.

So the last couple of weeks have been bed 6.30-7.30 waking between 11.30-1.30 then back down to 7ish.

So my question is do I make the night feed a dream feed and wean her off. Initially I think she wanted the feesd for comfort and has grown used to it. I'm not one for letting her cry it out. I will put her down and night and she will have a little whine but I can't have her full on howling!

Any suggestions, part of the reason I went back to work when she was 5 months was because she was sleeping well...I'm exhausted with it now lol!

Knew it would turn into and easay

Aw I understand how you, my toddler has been poorly this past week and started waking up at night again! A bit of a shock to the system when you're use to 8hrs sleep.

At 9months she is old enough not to have a night feed. You could dilute the bottle so it's more water than milk and less tempting to wake up for. Is she a good eater during the day? If my little boy woke up at night for a drink I would only give him water, he was eating three meals a day and drinking 20oz of milk by 9months so didnt need extra.

She has been on and off her food but generally yes she was having 3 meals and around 18-21 ounces during the day. Yes an thinking to try the water mention

Sent too soon!!! I was thinking about trying the water method. To be honest I think it's more my mind set knowing that I'm going to have a few really crappy nights with her a little upset and disgruntled! Need to crack on with it!
Thanks for your advice it appreciated!

Okay so we all go through this if she 9 mnths old u have hit the teething stage so ur routine will change.If she is unwell you baby will be up in the night mine were always sick with teething
I always gave mine a bottle at night and after a year I started then to water it down then about 18- 2 yrs I took the bottle away

Is she your only child? If not I can understand not wanting to let her cry it out incase she wakes other kids up

If she is an only child, and shes no longer out of sorts, I would suggest giving it a go! If shes eating well in the day she doesnt need the feed at night. And of shes not teething or feeling poorly then it really is just for the attention, shes gotten used to it while ill and by the sounds of it wants to carry it on even if mummy is exhausted as a result!

My youngest tried this when he was 1 ish, id go in make sure hes ok doesnt need changing etc, tuck him back in and leave him to it. Luckily my eldest would sleep through earthquakes! It took a few weeks for him to realise I wouldnt crack and get him up at silly o clock but now if he wakes in the night, he has a little natter to himself and goes back to sleep, best thing I ever did, just wish id done it with my first! It is hard but you just have to remember if they dont need anything, its not doing them any harm, they will wear themself out and eventually settle. Might not be right for everyone but worked for me. Hth xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

Is she your only child? If not I can understand not wanting to let her cry it out incase she wakes other kids up

If she is an only child, and shes no longer out of sorts, I would suggest giving it a go! If shes eating well in the day she doesnt need the feed at night. And of shes not teething or feeling poorly then it really is just for the attention, shes gotten used to it while ill and by the sounds of it wants to carry it on even if mummy is exhausted as a result!

My youngest tried this when he was 1 ish, id go in make sure hes ok doesnt need changing etc, tuck him back in and leave him to it. Luckily my eldest would sleep through earthquakes! It took a few weeks for him to realise I wouldnt crack and get him up at silly o clock but now if he wakes in the night, he has a little natter to himself and goes back to sleep, best thing I ever did, just wish id done it with my first! It is hard but you just have to remember if they dont need anything, its not doing them any harm, they will wear themself out and eventually settle. Might not be right for everyone but worked for me. Hth xx

Thanks, she's my first. I helped my sister do the controlled crying method with her three so I just know its not for me.

I'm happy to let her have a moan and if she stirs in the night she generally settles herself or uses to at least ;-) She only sleeps or 30-40mins all days and settles back to sleep at night right away I think as has been said she's grown accustomed to the attention. Which is annoying as when she was small I always put her back in the basket and she likes her space to kick around so when she is in with is I don't think she sleeps as well!

Thanks for your advice will see how tonight goes :)

Aw hope it goes well tonight :) I couldn't do cry it out either lol - I don't mind 'moan it out' but can't listen to screaming lol

When she wakes up is she quite active? There's an 8-10month sleep regression because they are learning so many new skills at this age - like us trying to sleep when we know we have an exciting party to in the morning :D

My little boy had a sleep regression at 8months, he would wake up at midnight and talk and giggle to him self for about 2hrs! Then a week and half later he just went back to sleeping normally. It could be that, because sounds like she's getting plenty of food during the day :)

Aw I understand how you, my toddler has been poorly this past week and started waking up at night again! A bit of a shock to the system when you're use to 8hrs sleep.

At 9months she is old enough not to have a night feed. You could dilute the bottle so it's more water than milk and less tempting to wake up for. Is she a good eater during the day? If my little boy woke up at night for a drink I would only give him water, he was eating three meals a day and drinking 20oz of milk by 9months so didnt need extra.

My 3 (nearly four) year old still gets up :(

Aw hope it goes well tonight :) I couldn't do cry it out either lol - I don't mind 'moan it out' but can't listen to screaming lol

When she wakes up is she quite active? There's an 8-10month sleep regression because they are learning so many new skills at this age - like us trying to sleep when we know we have an exciting party to in the morning :D

My little boy had a sleep regression at 8months, he would wake up at midnight and talk and giggle to him self for about 2hrs! Then a week and half later he just went back to sleeping normally. It could be that, because sounds like she's getting plenty of food during the day :)

No she isn't really when she was sleeping through she's would have a little chat to me during her 5am (ish) feed then go back down for a few hours. Maybe it will just sort itself out. All these obstacles are for such a short period I know and if I wasn't working it would be grand.

Thanks she's sound asleep-for now ;-)

Really CHarvey that's not fun :( Hope the little monkey starts sleeping through soon! x

Really CHarvey that's not fun :( Hope the little monkey starts sleeping through soon! x

She cries out then comes into our room and promptly gets put back to bed..don't know why she bothers lol

She cries out then comes into our room and promptly gets put back to bed..don't know why she bothers lol

Wishful thinking on her behalf then!

We've a 27 month old daughter, and we've never done CIO or denied her milk at night, even now. She probably wakes in the night 2-3 times a week. Her eating is very variable - sometimes she eats loads and other days she eats not so much. She also has sleep regressions whenever she has a big developmental leap. She comes in with us when she needs to.

I'm afraid I don't go with the books' view that babies and young children should follow set rules. I go by this:

I won't always cry, Mummy,
When you leave the room,
and my supermarket tantrums,
Will end too soon.
I won't always wake, Daddy,
For cuddles through the night'
& one day you will miss ,
Having a chocolate face to wipe.
You won't always wake to find my foot,
Is kicking you out of bed,
Or find me sideways on your pillow,
Where you want to lay your head,
You won't always have to carry me,
In asleep from the car,
Or piggy back me down the road,
When my little legs can't walk that far.
So cherish every cuddle, remember them all,
One day Mummy, I won't be this small.

Wishful thinking on her behalf then!

She sometimes sleeps at the bottom of our bed like a dog lol.
Emmie (the 3 yo) is a nightmare at night
My 10year old Isabel slept through from 6 weeks -6months and tgen woke for a feed at 3am right till she was 3!
My little boy Cole (5yo) is a bed Montster! But he has dyspraxia so I think he wears himself out with all his jiggling!

I have 4 kids I love it! Children need to know where there mummy is my no 3 who is about 4 often come in at night just to make sure I am here
Children need the security that mummy is there even at night

Hopefully she's down for the night :)

My little boy was nocturnal for the first 5weeks so we put a lot of hard work into getting him to sleep through the night! He's 15months now and is USUALLY sleeping 8pm - 8amif want to know anything about his routine feel free to message me :)

Night everyone - hopefully we're all gomna get 8hrs sleep tonight :D

Latest posts

Back