94 year old gel overlay client, advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n@iledit

Reaction score
one of my regular clients looks after her elderly mother and when im doing a treatment on the daughter the 94 year old mother wanted her nails doing so daughter books me to both next time (which was last night) i was worried about doing such a long treatment on an elderly lady as its hand in out and all that faffing about, so suggested a luxury manicure and a nice polish (mother and daughter insited she'd be fine with gel). so i did the treatment with my 94 year old client, drinking her tea, falling asleep and using her hanky inbetween layers, the result... ahhhh we had gel everywhere.....! i didnt mind at all, i absolutly adore these ladys they are sooo funny but i was and still am worried about the overexposure on her skin, she also wants infills in 2 weeks..

guess my question is should i stick to my guns and only offer to buff off and paint polish from now on or carry on with a service they asked for???

i understand this elderly lady is still perfectly "with it in mind" and knows exactly what she wants and i dont want to be agest and tell her no but it could lead to a reaction??!!!

please any advice appriciated, kayleigh
x x

If she wants it done, then do it.

When she comes back in, explain your concerns and gently ask for her co-operation in doing and not doing certain things during the service and explain how it will only benefit her short and long term.

Sometimes elderly clients can be your best clients, especially cause they love to have a chat with others and if she is happy, she will tell everyone and you can get heaps more clients.

thats for your fast reply..

i have explained my concerns and they are both happy to continue as am i. however i just wanted to make sure that i wasnt being unproffesional (and a bit of a pushover lol) by doing as they asked, i do tell the elderly lady to keep her hands on the table etc or even in the lamp lol as she keeps taking it out b4 its cure is up, but she kind of falls asleep and dream talks to her dog and all sorts...this results in waving her hands all over etc its really very comical and when she realises she says "ooppps look what ive done silly old lady i am" i advised she may recieve a service breakdown if she contaminates it, her and the daughter siad do your best with what you can lol...

i really do look forward to these clients.. even thou they are hard work ;)

It sounds like you want what's best for her and its lovely that u are being patient. I love the elderly and find them very rewarding but it can be hard work.

Allow yourself a bit of extra time. Have a word with her daughter as she could help to keep her mother awake and be a bit more pushy with her to behave! Lol
Be very insistant next time that she follows instructions and explain that you'd love to do the treatment but for insurance reasons (best get out Claus for everything!) she really has to try her best to stay awake and follow what you ask otherwise you won't be able to offer this particular treatment but will have to offer something more suitable instead.

As long as you are nice, firm and helpful she will understand if after another attempt it doesn't get any better xx

How about next treatment you offer shellac instead or gel polish? She still needs to put her hands in the lamp so will feel she's still getting a gel treatment but it would be much quicker for her so less chance of her nodding off bless her :) xx

I would just do it.. Believe me its their highlight of the month. I've loads of clients that in their late 70's & 80's & they really love being pampered. At the end of the day they are yesterdays girlie girls who wanted to look nice, still wanting to look nice. So just make their day & make them look lovely & help them feel special whilst they snooze.

Ah bless that's really sweet and made me chuckle! Like the others say it will be the highlight of her day having her nails done! I agree if you offer Shellac that may be better! Gel may be a nightmare when it comes to removal! Xx

I have a 76 yr old Kathy! she is my favourite and most reliable and grateful client I absolutely adore her! ! they are your bread and butter look after them one day that will be you! !!!!! x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

It is no quicker to do Shellac than Gel Polish. I had sample nails done at a Trade Show a couple of years ago and I timed them all. Removal of gel polish if done properly takes around one minute longer on gel polish than Shellac. I've tried many.

My advice would be to do a gel polish or a Shellac treatment but give yourself a little extra time and do one hand at a time. I have a 92 year old client and this seems to work well for me. I just talk to her while the nails are curing and keep my hand on the lamp visor so that she knows not to remove her hand until I lift it up.

If she is pulling her hand out of the lamp to early, then there is no reason why you can't gently hold her wrist while it's in the lamp and then pull her hand out gently when it's timed out.
Having your hand there might also help her stay awake:)
Or you could ask the daughter to do this for you and be your 'extra' hand for you while you continue to work on the other.
I think you will have to allow a little bit more time for her but don't go overboard, time is money:)

I have one client (not elderly though) who is so chatty she forgets to take her hand in and out, I have found if I gently touch her wrist area or the back of her hand, this is enough of a prompt for her to remember what she has to do.

You just have to find little ways to make it work with clients like this and if her daughter is there during the service, then use her to your advantage.

Latest posts

Back