A little intrigued with hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlytaylor1986

Reaction score
Hi all. Just a quick question for the hairdressers out there, or anyone suffering my pain? For some reason every hairdresser I have been to over the years has ALWAYS cut layers in my hair, despite sometimes, when I remember, to tell them that I don't want layers. I just wondered if this is something you're taught at college, to always cut layers in? I have had the same hairdresser now for around 2 years, every time I get my hair cut, I always say to her please please do not cut layers in my hair, as I hate the front being shorter than the rest of it. I want my hair to all be the same length...ignore my profile pic, that was taken a good year or so ago so it's grown out from that shape. However, the other day when I had it cut, I forgot to mention that I didn't want layers, but surely she should know this as she's been doing my hair for 2 years, and she's cut layers throughout my whole hair, shortest one being at least 3 inches shorter than the length of my hair. I was so upset, but i didn't dry it until after she'd gone so I didn't notice. I don't mean this to come across as rude in any way, was just interested :) xxxx

What sort of style do you ask for? Do you take pics of what you like/dislike?

No I never have a pic of what I want, I ask for dust to be taken off the ends as I hate having my hair cut because I am trying to grow it. I never had layers before the last time I had it cut, at all. And i just asked for the tiniest bit to be cut off and she knows how much I hate having my hair cut and goes and cuts 3 inch layers into it :( xxxxx

She obviously isnt very good at communicating. I go through everything with my clients always ask them if they want layers etc

I always ask my clients if they want layers

I usually ask my clients if they want layers.

I'm assuming this hairdresser isn't the right one for you if she doesn't listen. X

Ha ha ha......Yep I know exactly what you mean. There's an 'obsession' out there with layering....
I'm the hairdresser being told by the client with REALLY fine hair, that they NEED layers!!!!
What is that about???
LAYERS, LAYERS, LAYERS.....
They seem to think this will give them more hair...:confused::confused::confused: NO IT WON'T....

[emoji23] this is brilliant .... No lovely were not all like that. I love my hair blunt cut. Do you know how many arguments I've had with colleagues trying to layer my hair?.... Another bug bare is thinning the hell out of hair! Just stop!

As mentioned I don't think she's really listening to you, try taking in a photo next time. But mention that you don't like layers, many hairdressers follow what cut has done previously .... Sometimes without even asking! Xx

Oh phew glad to know :) I just ask her to not blunt cut my hair, as I like it to be scraggly at the ends (if that's even a word) and no layers, but this time i forgot re layers :( and then she also feathered it! She turned up without my colour too - high lift tint, and tried mixing up bleach - luckily i noticed and she had to pop out to go and get my colour :( I've told her so many times I hate layers/feathering, i want my hair to just be one length, then amount of times with previous hairdressers not listening to me, then i have it cut really short to get it to one length again and then grow it to a nice length then it takes one hair cut to ruin years of growth :( xxxx

Aw Hun if I'm honest she sounds like she's complacent and a bit lazy. I would go somewhere else if she continues x

Yeah i would find someone else to

Sometimes you don't get what you want, because........ they can't do what you want!!!! :rolleyes:
Colleges seem to love nothing more than the 'uniform layering technique' .......o_Oo_Oo_O

Redstar...you're in Sidcup, are you mobile by any chance?

Hi Carly,
I have a salon in Lewis road, Sidcup.
I've previously tried to persuade you to 'take up' my nail station, (without success I might add)....:D:D:D.
More than happy for you to 'come on down', and let me have a look at your hair. :)

Yayyyyyy..... Miss Carly Taylor you have to go now and we need pics too! X

Hahaha...ooh i feel all flustered hehe! I have a terrible memory so can vaguely remember haha, do you have a fb page or a website i could look at? xxx

It depends on the style you want and the type of hair you have. If you wanted more height I would cut layers, but if you wanted a solid shape I wouldn't.

But she should confirm with you exactly what she wants to do before cutting your hair x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

I know this is the thing, I didn't even ask for a shape. I don't want a shape at all I just want longer hair so I said please just cut dust :( I hate it as the front of my hair looks so much shorter than the rest of it! so when the back of my hair is on my back, my hair actually looks as short as it is in my profile picture :( when she asks me how the colour was when i see her again i am going to say yeah was ok but you've cut layers into my hair. make a statement that i dont like them xx

I know this is the thing, I didn't even ask for a shape. I don't want a shape at all I just want longer hair so I said please just cut dust :( I hate it as the front of my hair looks so much shorter than the rest of it! so when the back of my hair is on my back, my hair actually looks as short as it is in my profile picture :( when she asks me how the colour was when i see her again i am going to say yeah was ok but you've cut layers into my hair. make a statement that i dont like them xx
You need to have a shape in your hair, the shape is the style. There is no point in just having long hair without any shape, even if there are no layers there will be shape.

Just make sure you tell the hairdresser exactly what you want

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh phew glad to know :) I just ask her to not blunt cut my hair, as I like it to be scraggly at the ends (if that's even a word) and no layers, but this time i forgot re layers :( and then she also feathered it! She turned up without my colour too - high lift tint, and tried mixing up bleach - luckily i noticed and she had to pop out to go and get my colour :( I've told her so many times I hate layers/feathering, i want my hair to just be one length, then amount of times with previous hairdressers not listening to me, then i have it cut really short to get it to one length again and then grow it to a nice length then it takes one hair cut to ruin years of growth :( xxxx

So, you don't want it blunt cut, but you don't want layers either.
You want it scraggly at the ends but not feathered.
You want it trimmed by mlllimetres but no shape....??

Honestly? You sound like a nightmare client, lol!

I think you should take several pictures along to your next appointment to help demonstrate what you do and don't like because at the moment, you're not really explaining yourself very well.

My pet hate is clients who insist on highlift tint instead of bleach, thinking they know best... :rolleyes::D

Latest posts

Back