About to rent a room in a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeleyp

Reaction score
Hi I have been offered a room to rent in a new salon which has just opened, which is next to a hair salon, so hope this will bring in some clients.

I am having the room on a comission only basis 30% on all treatments.
What I wanted to know was does this seem a ok comission rate.
They will do my advertising and bookings and all bills are included in this.

I am new to the beauty industy so very nervous about quitting my office job and doing this full time.

I rented a room last year in a leisure centre but gave this up after 1 week, as it was so noisy and no cilents.

I would really like some advise, on this and if there is anything I should do before I make this move.

Thank you

:rolleyes:

I think 30% is fairly low - I only get 40% but others get 50% and some 60%!!

I get all my advertising and equipment and product in for me, so I basically turn up and do the treatments, but I also help around the salon on reception, tidying up and other duties that need to be done when I am there.

Just think of a price of one of the treatments you will be doing, then work out 30% of that treatment - thats how much you will actually receive.

Maybe you could barter a little bit with them - say work on 30% commission for the first 3 months then if you are doing well and bringing in clients up it to 40% or something?

Good luck with your new venture by the way x

HI sorry I should of mentioned I have to give 30 % to the salso owner I keep the rest.

ahhh!! Thats sounds even better then!! Do they have any more rooms? haha.

Definitely sounds good to me then! Do you have to supply all your own clients or will they help you find them?

Ha sorry I wasn't clear. I have to supply my own but they advertise for me as I am the only beauty therapist there.
I'M just worried as It's a big move.

I think its always scary when you are about to do something new for the first time. Im sure you will be fine. You could always ask friends and family and there friends etc to come in for the first month or so to help get you into the swing of things. And you never know you may gain a few permanent clients from some of them.
But they can tell others how well you are doing etc and recommend you to others.

Dont expect to be fully booked up every single day for months on end, as it usually takes time to build up a client base, but you will get there. Good luck, and the commission rate sounds very good to me! :hug:

30% is a good rate especially if advertising is included however you need to find out how much advertising is going to be done and when. There is no point them doing a couple of adverts and expecting you to be fully booked they need to be doing a massive launch campaign at least a few weeks before they open.

1 week is not enough time to judge how busy you will be. You get out of it what you put in. Most businesses don't make a profit until they have been trading a couple of years, it wouldn't suprise me if it was more than that now.

Im not meaning to scare you but if you need the financial security of a full time job then make sure you have enough back up funds to cover your first year of trading as it is really tough to be launching a business now.

THe salon has been open a few weeks . I think they are going to be advertising next week.

Latest posts

Back