Acceptable application time for stylist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherylj45

Reaction score
Hi geeks. After some advice. I've got a stylist that's been with me since November, she's not been qualified long but she takes an awful long time on everything. Do you have average application times and hints and tips on speed. It's now starting to cost me money and annoying clients as she's always running over. Help pls. Thanks x

To be honest, theres not much you can do. Its hard when you get stressed out because you're taking so long doing something. She'll get quicker! If shes only just qualified then she will be slow!

How long are we talking?

To be honest, theres not much you can do. Its hard when you get stressed out because you're taking so long doing something. She'll get quicker! If shes only just qualified then she will be slow!

How long are we talking?
1hour for a blow dry. 40 mins child cut. 1 hour 45 mins half head foils. 1hour tsection foils

1hour for a blow dry. 40 mins child cut. 1 hour 45 mins half head foils. 1hour tsection foils

Even a short blowdry takes her an hour?

Maybe its best to not give her loads of clients for now, space them out, get her to get a mannequin to practice on all the time, its the only way she'll get faster. Foiling is something that takes time to get quicker with.

Sounds a little slow, but if a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing well!
Obviously have a word about time/profit etc...and try and 'jig' her along a little.
It's getting that balance right, you wouldn't want a rush job, but in order to make a living from this industry it has to be understood that TIME IS MONEY :)

Slightly off topic but.... There was a girl in college today she's a finishing her level 3 it took her 6 and a half hours for a full head of foils and a cut and blow dry!!!!

Slightly off topic but.... There was a girl in college today she's a finishing her level 3 it took her 6 and a half hours for a full head of foils and a cut and blow dry!!!!

Was the end result nice?

Yeah it was fine nothing amazing though!

Yeah it was fine nothing amazing though!

Well as long as it was nice and the clients hair was still attached to her head:p

I don't think its that bad when people take ages, its not their fault, they'll get faster

Yeah maybe just dont treat her as you would a normal stylist? Only book in small amounts? Like not fill her coloumn like you normally would And do introductory prices etc. She cant help it. Is quite a long time though lol

When I was training, you didn't pass an assessment unless you did it within a time frame.
Even if you took 5 minutes extra the lecturers would be really picky!

I think that it is best to have her do a good job and once she's cracked that, and got more practice she'll speed up.

Maybe get her in for extra training sessions? X

Is she concentrating on the task in hand and just taking her time or chatting too much and getting distracted?

I remember I used to take ages sectioning the hair in the beginning. Almost obsessively so. :(

Hi. Thanks for the replys. I've watched and she does take too many sections,and takes ages in doing so. And she keeps combing the hair constantly whilst doing a cut & blow. She took and hour and a half today to do a cut and b/d!!

Latest posts

Back