Accidentally double processed 4A, now looks black and need it brought back

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erika the barber

Reaction score
For the last 10 years I have worked at a salon that is more like a barber shop and we do not do color. I would still do a little on the side but mostly it was all over colors and blondes. Needless to say I’m a little out of touch with color.

My step daughters hair was ombré from her natural 4N/4A hair to a golden honey blonde and a lot of it. She showed me a picture of what she wanted to change to, a darker chocolate brown for most of the hair with a softer cocoa/ashy blonde on the ends only with a few streaks higher up. I color matched her roots with a 4A and did a filler 9A toner on her ends followed by 8A with 20v. I brought the 4A a little lower in her hair to cover some of the blonde as it went to high, but she wanted just a few light streaks that went up higher so I used a 8A with 40v for that.

Overall it came out great, except the streaks ended up bleeding a little and ended up too thick. She decided she didn’t want them anymore and that she wanted more of the dark brown in her ends as well. This is where things got messed up. I did her hair around 3 in the afternoon and then tried to fix it after dinner. I forgot that you could double process dark colors. I mixed up the 4A with 20v again and put in about 8 foils in her ends to break up the blond and then just applied it straight to the roots to cover the coppery streaks. I did not just go over the streaks though, I just applied it to all of it. Now it looks black and the pets where I colors it in looks black and greenish-grey. It ended up being way too much ash.

Help! What would be the best way to strip back the color without taking too much?! I wash going to do a bleach shampoo but worry about bringing it too light or lifting weird. Any suggestions?

For the last 10 years I have worked at a salon that is more like a barber shop and we do not do color. I would still do a little on the side but mostly it was all over colors and blondes. Needless to say I’m a little out of touch with color.

My step daughters hair was ombré from her natural 4N/4A hair to a golden honey blonde and a lot of it. She showed me a picture of what she wanted to change to, a darker chocolate brown for most of the hair with a softer cocoa/ashy blonde on the ends only with a few streaks higher up. I color matched her roots with a 4A and did a filler 9A toner on her ends followed by 8A with 20v. I brought the 4A a little lower in her hair to cover some of the blonde as it went to high, but she wanted just a few light streaks that went up higher so I used a 8A with 40v for that.

Overall it came out great, except the streaks ended up bleeding a little and ended up too thick. She decided she didn’t want them anymore and that she wanted more of the dark brown in her ends as well. This is where things got messed up. I did her hair around 3 in the afternoon and then tried to fix it after dinner. I forgot that you could double process dark colors. I mixed up the 4A with 20v again and put in about 8 foils in her ends to break up the blond and then just applied it straight to the roots to cover the coppery streaks. I did not just go over the streaks though, I just applied it to all of it. Now it looks black and the pets where I colors it in looks black and greenish-grey. It ended up being way too much ash.

Help! What would be the best way to strip back the color without taking too much?! I wash going to do a bleach shampoo but worry about bringing it too light or lifting weird. Any suggestions?
Hi not sure if I'm too late with my suggestions? Hopeful not :) I would instinctively go with bleach and warm water mix to a paste and then add a pump of cleansing shampoo, this will remove build up of colour / tone. Another option which I haven't used much but I believe is a very old trick, is to mix warm water and liquid peroxide 6% in to a spray bottle and spray all over the hair, this also evens out the colour. Hope this helped :)

Latest posts

Back