Account/book keeping - I've searched, I promise!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I jump in and ask a stupid question please?
In your accounts book, for outgoings do you write down exactly what you buy per item? As in 1 blow dry lotion, box of gloves etc. Or just put £xx spent at wholesalers eg?
Newbie here too lol

I make a note of the date, supplier, total amount and method of payment. You don't really need to break it down further than that as it will be detailed on your receipt/invoice which you keep.

What is good to have though are categories - products, rent, utilities, insurance etc so you can tally these monthly/annually and will know how much you are spending and whether or not you can save yourself some money! :)

I'm an analyst at heart so I broke everything down to its component parts because I wanted to know how much I'd spent on x, y and z, over the year.
Yeah, I know, I'm an ubernerd!
So bite me!

I'm an analyst at heart so I broke everything down to its component parts because I wanted to know how much I'd spent on x, y and z, over the year.
So bite me!

You need to get out more Lynne!

Even my immaculate accounts are just headed. I have headings such as
Stock
Wages
Property costs
Advertising
Utilities
Equipment
Repairs and renewals
Communications
Postage
Etc etc

I have no idea how much I spend on cotton wool a year though, is that really bad?

So bite me!

No you're just organised Lynne - something I've always dreamed of being but have finally accepted I never will be lol

You need to get out more Lynne!

I have no idea how much I spend on cotton wool a year though, is that really bad?

O.M.G.
How do you sleep at night?

And yes I do need to get out more, but I wouldn't have a clue what to do if I got there!

I shall keep special track of my cottonwool expenditure from now on.

Well, that's all very well, but just how many highlight foils have you used this year?

Could make all the difference you know!! :lol:

You know you maybe right! Do you think I should stop doing hair and concentrate on spending my time on stock counting:zzz:

I could save at least 10 quid a year on cottonwool if I controlled it properly!

I would suggest making copies of your receipts for two reasons, they'll be them same size, so its nearer, and some companies use carbon paper receipts, which fade over time or with heat.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

I have one of those plastic expandable folders with the separate compartments.

I have a section with each supplier/ bill as a header I.e. Cnd/la tan/insurance/phone etc then have envelopes/ plastic wallets inside, with the months on and put the receipts in there, really easy to keep track.

I used the green accounts book from WHS and never had a problem and nor has my accountant, I'm alittle rusty as I've had a 18 mths on maternity leave.

Xxx

I'm a self confessed ocd when it comes to lists (I have a list for everything, and if it changes, Ive got to rewrite the whole thing) My accounts are hand written, in my filofax, it has a finance section and the sheets have sections for date, details, whether it was paid cash/card/cheque, - amount or + amount then my running total. I update it daily (whenever I have clients and/or order stock) so there's nothing missed and just a glance to see how many pennies I've made that month. And I have a folder at home where I keep all my receipts :) I use a new sheet for each month. Although I haven't actually been asked to file a tax return yet, so no idea if it's effective :) works for me for now anyway. I tried brightbook but personally didn't like how everything has to be invoiced etc.

Latest posts

Back