Accountant costs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allyballybee

Reaction score
A client's husband is an accountant and he does my self assessment tax return once a year. He never charges me and his wife gets treatments instead. He's done it for the last 7 years and has never taken any money. But last year or so, his wife, due to illness and whatever, hasn't had much done in the way of treatments.

I really need to pay him, but he keeps saying no. I want to give him something for his trouble, but not sure how much. Just wanted to know roughly how much accountants would normally charge for this?

I have a small salon with seven employees. I do all my own books including quarterly VAT returns and wages etc, he just does annual self ass.

My accountant just charged my £750. I don't have any employee they are all self employed. I am a smallish salon with 3 treatment rooms.

Really Katie? Was this just for your self assessment?

Yes it was.
Was same last year too. I'm going to look for a new accountant this year. I think I'm being ripped off.

I paid £750 my first years Accountants but this was a big firm, I am a sole Trader home salon and mobile, that was 7 years ago. Since then I have moved to a small one man firm and he charges me £260 plus VAT. This is for filing my tax return, I do my own books and spreadsheet. Bit of a difference eh!!kx

Hi i have a small salon with four staff and do most of my weekly book keeping. My accountants charge me about £750 per year for self assessments and checking my books. I do the p.a.y.e and companies house filing or it would cost me a lot more.
I have rang round other firms near me and they all charged the same!
Why don't you call a few small accountants near you and see what they say .
Dee xx

Blimey, I can't believe how much some of you are being charged.

My accountants wife does my book keeping for me (I hand over statements, invoices, receipts etc for her to sort it all out!) & last year I was charged £180.

The accountants bit for doing whatever he does once his wife has done her bit, plus tax return & anything else was £250.

So, I think I get a pretty good deal for it all being done for me. Less paperwork for me to do = 1 happy Sarah :green:

Its amazing the difference in prices. People always needs to remember that an accountant is just like any other profession in that there are expensive ones, middle ones and cheap ones. Best to find one that fits your needs. If as a sole trader you choose an expensive accountant that usually deals with companies that have many many employees and overseas interests, you are paying for skills that will not be any use in your particular case.

If your accountant really wishes not to take any cash from you, then dont give him cash, give him something instead. Maybe tickets to something he would enjoy or the like. Something that shows him that you value his time and expertise.

A good accountant is worth their weight in gold. Likewise your bookkeeper. I look at it this way.....when he presents my taxes with nothing owing at the end of a good year of takings, I gladly write him a cheque for about $2000.

Latest posts

Back