Aching thumbs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Jo

Creative Geek :)
Reaction score
Hi ....
I have had a busy week :) did 5 sets yesterday 4 today and got 4 tomorrow, which is great for me :) ooooh but my thumbs ache on the joints ... is this me getting used to hard work lol and does anyone have any good soothing recipe for my poor aching thumbs please
Jo xx

Yep relax your grip a little babe.....;) ...........
and get the client to relax a little to.....:D ......most of our hand problems come from unrelaxed clients.......... and us gripping them in a vice like hold because they wont move with us ..............

I always tell my clients if they dont relax I have to charge them extra for the wrestling match....:p ......

Also in between clients, wriggle your fingers and thumbs.....:idea: ...... stretch them a little.....

HTH

Thanks Ruth :) will defo try and get their wooden fingers to relax .... how many times do you have to say "relax your finger please" lol :)

Jo x

OMG Jo i thought it was just me that had this problem i thought i was starting to get arthritis or something lol and yeh your right ... can u relax your finger plz

I think us techs take our bodies for granted. People think we just sit at a table all day and paint nails. I sometimes have chronic back pain from all the pedicures I do (still haven't mastered good posture), and like Ruth said, I sometimes have to wrestle with clients to keep their hands where I need them, which makes my shoulders and neck hurt from straining.
Ugh!
Guys, we're really supposed to be stretching our whole bodies, AND our hands throughout our busy work days/nights. I certainly don't do this, and I feel the effects. *sad*

Ruth you are so right...some clients try curl their fingers back so they can see everything u r doing and boy does that give you cramp in your hands if you dont get them to relax lol(especially as I have small hands compared to many of my clients!)..they dont realise they r doing it but soon chill when you mention it...between clients, or even during the service if you need to, try placing your hands totally flat on the desk and press down for a few seconds really stretching your fingers...it really works for me..make sure you get your neck and shoulders moving too and sit up as straight as you can :)

Hiya,

Let the file and your wrist do the work and loosen your grip, relax a little more and as Ruth says get your clients to relax more!!

Amanda

TracyUK said:
...some clients try curl their fingers back so they can see everything u r doing ...
ohmygod! does this happen to everyone? It reeally pi**es me off!!!
I thought my clients just didn't trust me to do it right? Then they say "ooh, do you think you could make that a bit more like this!" And I'm like "yeah, if i could actually see your nails - I would - but seeing as you're looking at them, maybe it'd be easier for you to do it???" I also find people take their hands out of the uv lamp to examine!!!

Sorry for the tangent, but seriously, how do you get them to stop it, without sounding a bit rude?!

I also get cramp BTW I was hoping it'd get better as my hands get used to doing more clients??

laura some clients prob do that because they are just curious to see all you are doing :) Ask them to just move their chair in towards the desk a little then it's easier for them to see without the tug of war lol :) also as the others have said, relax your fingers as you work and relax the grip on your file to stop any cramp :)

Parlour-Made Nails said:
ohAnd I'm like "yeah, if i could actually see your nails - I would - but seeing as you're looking at them, maybe it'd be easier for you to do it???"

Reading this made me laugh!! :lol:

I read a similar post to this before and another geek wrote how she had put a sign up in her salon saying:

If you can see your hands then I can't.......... and right now YOU are paying ME to look at them!!!!!!

Hope this helps!!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Latest posts

Back