Acrylic/gel beauticians out there

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shannon Deeley

Reaction score
I'm a hairdresser and my nails are in water ALL day, I do Sprays&waxing aswell as shellac! BUT that's as fair as it goes with nails!! Shellac , gelish , asp , opi and Jessica generation lifts in days on my nail, ive been going to a salon and they have been doing "Arylics overlays before applying shellac, this last for about 3weeks but also cost me £45 each time! They apply the glue and I dip my fingers in a pot full off White podwer, she repeats this twice. Has anyone got any idea what the podwer would be? I've been to Sally today and the girl wasn't very helpful at all, kept telling me I had to mix another prouduct it's the powder and apply with a brush(I've had this done in the quick nail bars. Which ruined my nails as they use the electric machines! Please help me, I love my nails looking nice but can't keep up with the prices off £45'each time!!

I'm the same and have found it really varies depending on where I go how long they last. Shellac doesn't seem to do well with me unless it's the application but have more success with gelish or bio sculptor (not sure if spelt right!). I can normally get a good 2.5-3 weeks out of those two. The last time I had shellac, it was lifting within a couple of days, I was really disappointed as had tried a local place for convenience as couldn't get an appt. where I normally go so I won't be going back to that one unfortunatly!

Surely there is a liquid or an activator used with the powder?
Have you tried hard gel under? I use Brisa and a few others but Brisa is the best on me.

I'm a hairdresser and my nails are in water ALL day, I do Sprays&waxing aswell as shellac! BUT that's as fair as it goes with nails!! Shellac , gelish , asp , opi and Jessica generation lifts in days on my nail, ive been going to a salon and they have been doing "Arylics overlays before applying shellac, this last for about 3weeks but also cost me £45 each time! They apply the glue and I dip my fingers in a pot full off White podwer, she repeats this twice. Has anyone got any idea what the podwer would be? I've been to Sally today and the girl wasn't very helpful at all, kept telling me I had to mix another prouduct it's the powder and apply with a brush(I've had this done in the quick nail bars. Which ruined my nails as they use the electric machines! Please help me, I love my nails looking nice but can't keep up with the prices off £45'each time!!

Where do you live?

I charge £24 for infill with shellac! I've heard a few people mention having there from nails dipped in powder? What is that?

This is an old method, we used to use it in the salon I work in, its easier than applying the powder and liquid with the brush, I think the product we used was back scratchers. I prefer hard gel on the nail first then cure and build the second layer and cure then buff and apply gel polish, this usually lasts my clients 3-4 weeks. HTH x

Hi, the powder you are talking about is possibly something like the SNS Gelous system. Have a look at snsnails.com. I've seen this advertised at one of our local NSS and also know someone who's had it done from this salon. Also called dip and tip I think (but more 'dip' than 'tip' if no length is being added, just strength).

Just a thought but have you tried having an acrylic (or hard gel) overlay put on your natural nails and then simply using normal nail polish. I find it lasts much longer on an overlay than on natural nails. Would be much cheaper as you could possibly do your own nail polish in between acrylic / gel infills. And be able to change the colour regularly too!

I know people like to get 2-3 weeks (or more!) out of their uv gel polish - whichever brand - but how on earth do people put up with the same colour for that long!!!

All your comments have been overwhelming! I live in Didcot nr Oxford? I have had hard gel overlays and then Jessica generation and it just peeled off( but I did have tips on this occasions) I have had a full set off Arylics and normal polish and sometimes shellac but the stuff has just killed my nails. The way she's has been doing it is perfect and my nails still feel strong even when they com off! Some beautician told me a while ago it's because my nails carry to much oil? But my shellac last months on my toes! I never knew it could be such a pain finding out the method! Thanks everyone!!

Where do you live?

I charge £24 for infill with shellac! I've heard a few people mention having there from nails dipped in powder? What is that?
Didcot? Near Oxford?

Shame you wasn't near me is of done them for you x

I do a couple of hairdressers' nails, with no problems. I use liquid & powder NOT a dip system which in my experience is inferior although easier for the tech and often requires full soak and reapplication each visit costing you a fortune!

So you're looking for someone using a little pot of liquid which they dip the brush into then dip the brush into a pot of powder and apply the acrylic ball to your nail. This system will last best. I infill the liquid & powder nails then Shellac over that, good for 3 weeks plus. I charge £22 infill and another £5 for shellac Wish you we near me x

There's quite a trend for applying gel polish base coat, dipping into regular acrylic powder and curing at the moment-it could be this? Acry-gel it's known as here

Latest posts

Back