Acrylic least likely to cause reaction?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkzebranails

Reaction score
Hi, I have had a reaction to NSI attraction :cry: the fingers are sore, itchy red and inflamed. I am using this as part of my NVQ I know that everyone is different but has anyone got any experience of finding a brand that hasn't caused a reaction on client who has had previous problems.

Thank you

I had 2 clients both with issues with l&p and we did tests with loads of different brands with a wooden toothpick putting a tiny amount on and everything single one caused issues.

She can wear brisa lite sculpting and hard gels (non soak off) but no l&p everyone caused problems.

(Please not I didn't want to do the test, the client really wanted me to as desperately wanted l&p acrylic.

I had 2 clients both with issues with l&p and we did tests with loads of different brands with a wooden toothpick putting a tiny amount on and everything single one caused issues.

She can wear brisa lite sculpting and hard gels (non soak off) but no l&p everyone caused problems.

(Please not I didn't want to do the test, the client really wanted me to as desperately wanted l&p acrylic.

Thank you. Im so upset that I appear to be allergic . How did you do the test, did you put the product on the skin?

What is like working as a technician with an allergy to the products that you use does anyone have any advice or experience?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is what i was told when i questioned another ,very well known,industry professional the same thing in regard to one of my clients having a allergy.

"The company will send you a patch test for a dr to administer IF there is a suspected allergy. None of the patches is named because of patents. Each patch will say A, B, C etc if a person proves to be allergic then the company will advise which chemical is the correct name for A, B C etc. You cannot just apply a patch with monomer on it as you would never know which chemical in the monomer was the one the person was affected by."

Have you not considered gel??

Trial and error i'm afraid

Thanks. I would consider gel yes, it isnt covered in the NVQ so it will be at a later date.

Is it more likely to be the monomer causing the problem ?

Im really upset i applied nsi to 2 nails yesterday and ive woken up in agony my fingers are sore and cracked. Im hoping with protection I will be able to apply to clients.

Why not see your GP and ask for a referral to a dermatology clinic for patch testing?
It's a very easy process, albeit it can take a couple of weeks to narrow down what the 'problem' substances are

I didnt realise they would do this

Also whats the best thing to do when I have a reaction any certain moisturisers etc that can be used?

Many many technicians that are allergic to other L&P systems have reported that they can work with and use CND Retention+. You can order a small try me kit which costs very very little. 08452106060 is the number to register as a professional at Sweet Squared which is right there in Leeds or you could call in at the shop with a copy of your qualification and register and pick up the kit at the same time. You could be a winner in two ways ... Back in business and using CND. :)

FYI ... Do NOT ever take anyone's advice and patch test a client with unreacted monomer ... There isn't a person in the world whose skin would not redden with monomer on it for a length of time even if they were not allergic to it. Meaningless exercise.

CND are known for their products which have had many of the known common allergens removed from them. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks gigi. Im not able to open an account yet but I really want to try retention +. I dont finish the NVQ till may I cant keep on with the reaction im having with the product im in agony and so upset that I might not be able to do the job I so want to do. I dont want to have to stop the course im loving so much. Im not sure my hands can last till May until I am able to try CND

Thanks. I would consider gel yes, it isnt covered in the NVQ so it will be at a later date.

Is it more likely to be the monomer causing the problem ?

Im really upset i applied nsi to 2 nails yesterday and ive woken up in agony my fingers are sore and cracked. Im hoping with protection I will be able to apply to clients.

Hi, sorry if this has been mentioned anywhere but are you using tips or doing sculpts, because if it's tips it might be the glue you're having a reaction too.

I used ASP in college, you can get little tester kits for it in sallys that might be worth giving a try. NSI Attraction is quite a strong monomer (smell-wise anyway lol) so maybe it has more of a certain chemical that causes that.

A lot of people wear little cotton gloves while doing acrylics so you could try that to protect your hands, and maybe try something like benadryl cream to soothe your skin.

Hope that helps x

Thank you. Im so upset that I appear to be allergic . How did you do the test, did you put the product on the skin?

What is like working as a technician with an allergy to the products that you use does anyone have any advice or experience?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

She wanted me to do her little nail but I said no... I didn't want to risk it

So I agreed finally to dip a cocktail stick in tiny bit of liquid... Dap on tissue and then do a tiny tiny tiny dot on little finger, we did it and every time she got itching, minimal not like if she had her nails done, which caused her real probs at the nss.. So after 3rd try on 3rd week I said no more and we tried one hard gel nail of flay to see how she went.

Turned out when she started having nails done few years ago, they buffed her nails with efiles, dipped brush in monomer and ran brush over nail, which meant it dripped onto skin on every finger, then dipped again, then picked up powder and applied to nail, this happened every time for years and the itching got worse and worse, till she got blisters and pain.

She can wear brisa lite and hard gels with no problem but l&p nope my other clients only wears shellac now which she's ok with.

Me too, I know EXACTLY what you are going through.
I was also allergic to NSI SPA liquid & CND Retention+

The NSI Universal works for me. No reaction at all. Maybe try and get hold of a sample bottle and give it a go.

Good Luck.

Thanks gigi. Im not able to open an account yet but I really want to try retention +. I dont finish the NVQ till may I cant keep on with the reaction im having with the product im in agony and so upset that I might not be able to do the job I so want to do. I dont want to have to stop the course im loving so much.

Well listen because this is serious. Once allergic always allergic! Your reaction will get worse each time you are exposed to the substance that is causing it. Are you sure it is not the adhesive you are allergic to?

You need to see the doctor and get an appropriate medication. You need to wear a barrier cream on your hands. You need to work wearing nitrile gloves and you need to wear them immediately when working with the product or you could be in big trouble. :hug: don't be too upset or start to panic yet. There are precautions you can take so that you don't expose your self to the products.

Its definitly not the adhesive, I had a reaction when L&P was just overlayed. Im going to go to GP. If I use gloves etc am I able to continue using on other people?

Its definitly not the adhesive, I had a reaction when L&P was just overlayed. Im going to go to GP. If I use gloves etc am I able to continue using on other people?

If you protect your skin from exposure then yes. But I hate wearing gloves and I think the wearing of them also makes people very wary and suspicious of what you are doing to them ... Sends bad signals. :biggrin: one day you can try Retention+ Or Brisa Gel and hopefully not have to wear them again.

Make sure you get nitrile gloves and not latex.

whats the difference between nitrile and latex please?

whats the difference between nitrile and latex please?

They are different substances and many people find with constant wear that they become allergic to the latex.

Latest posts

Back