Acrylic nail popped off, am I doing something wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi, i am currently training and a good friend of mine has offered to be my guinea pig, im using nsi liquid and powder. I did her a full set two weeks ago! She has caught her nail today and it popped off ( iv added a picture) is this something that happens as i was waiting for them to outgrow so i could attempt infills....any advice would be great...thank you :)

Attachments

• received_321590348232880.jpeg
    received_321590348232880.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 141
This doesn't look like it's just 'popped off' as you can see there is slight damage to the nail. It could be that it had lifted slightly ( which would be down to prep) and then she prided the rest off? X

Nails don't just pop off.
I second what rachirv has said. Looks like there was some lifting then the rest has been pulled off judging by the damaged area

True they don't just pop off but she did say she "caught" it and the definition of that can vary from catching it on your cardi to shutting it in a drawer imo!

If it was your application they will all be off pretty much together as you did the same to each nail.

Looks like some impact helped that one off, judging by the white marks of trauma on the nail bed. Try and establish wha happened to it but fingers crossed the others will return for their infills. X

Thank you for all you replies :) i tend to spend so much time on the prep as i know this can be the most important part, i wash mine and clients hands, (cuticle remover) re soak and wipe in water to remove any residue, lightly buff the nail and shape the free edge, apply antispectic spray to remove anything on the nail plate and wipe with lint free cloth, apply nail tips and blend, once again remove anything left behind and then brush nails to make sure any dust etc is gone, dehydrate and apply primer, then go on to apply the acrylic. I try not to get any onto the surrounding nail edge as i know this can also cause lifting. I also do my own nails using all of the following techniques i do sometimes find the edge around the cuticle do lift slightly. Maybe im going wrong somewhere? Its knocked my confidence a little and feel like ill never get there....any advice is welcome. Thank you

How do you mean, you re-soak? Do you soak the nsils in water?
Also you mention antiseptic spray but do you use a dehydrator?
And you didn't mention a primer? x

Hi if you re read it i dehydrate and apply primer before applying acrylic once all other prep has been done. I dont soak the nails (should have worded it better) i have a manicure bowl with warm water which i dip each hand in and use a brush to gently cleanse to remove the cuticle remover from the nail bed. Thanks :)

Im not saying this is the right way but it is my way. now I never ever use oils or creams during prep, i understand that you wipe numerous of times to clean the nail plate but there only needs to be the slightest amount of cream there what you maybe missed and the can affect the longevity of the extension massively. I do spend more time prepping than i do applyng the actual set because that is the most important part! But i push the cuticles back, use my cuticle drill bit (if you don't have a electrical file, a 180grit file lightly around the cuticle area will do fine), shape the natural nail then buff the surface with a 180grit file then cleanse the nail plate with acetone then two coats of dehydrator then two coats of primer. I don't really have any problems with lifting on my clients. like i said it might not be right but this is the way that has worked best for me for years. I hope this helps you

Latest posts

Back