Acrylic nail tech, throat problems?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlienails

Reaction score
Hi everyone

So, I've been doing acrylic nails for over 4 years now but it has never been my main job.
I have recently started working in a very busy nail bar and I've noticed that I'm finding it very hard to swallow after work and during the day at work.

I don't have a sore throat and I'm definitely hydrated. I drink 2L of Spring water each day (usually more)

Does anyone else have this problem? It almost feels like my throat is closing up and I'm worried!!

It sounds like the dust/fumes are irritating your throat. Is there a good dust extractor where you're working? You could try wearing a mask to see if that helps. I'd see your GP about this ASAP too.

Hi,
This is a copy from a product safety data sheet from one of the leading nail product manufacturers, freely available from their website. All of their nail products have similar data sheets.
It is not surprising that you are having health problems if you are not taking proper precautions and don't have extraction. The only surprising thing is there are not more Nail Technicians that suffer with these symptoms, but over time there probably will be.
Ray Vidler

Risk Phrases : Irritating to eyes, respiratory system and skin.

Primary route of exposure : Skin and eyes contact. Inhalation of dust.

Symptoms relating to use

- Inhalation : May cause irritation to the respiratory tract and to other mucous membranes.

Cough. Shortness of breath.

- Skin contact : Redness, pain.

- Eye contact : Pain. Redness. Tears.

- Ingestion : Not expected to present a significant ingestion hazard under anticipated conditions

of normal use. Must not come into contact with food or be consumed

Latest posts

Back