Acrylic removal!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steffanie

Steff
Reaction score
I feel like I'm forever posting on here at the moment lol thank god for this site! I've been in a salon three weeks now and I'm really struggling with removals taking me so long :( what's your quickest best method please?
I'm currently filing down through the gel (most of my clients like gel instead of polish) filing the side walls and free edge, applying cuticle oil and placing in a bowl of acetone, remove after 10 minutes and scrape and keep repeating every couple of minutes. It's totally taking the mick! Sigh! I've heard of the Hot water method but feel it will cool down quite quickly so don't see the point xx

Have you looked at the easy soak bowls? They are really good :) x

I have the easy soak bowls but find individually wrapping each finger is quicker. You can also use a heat pad to assist removal.
I file off as much as I can and wrap each one as I go and by the time I've wrapped the last one the first is ready to remove.

I do the same as Ciderella.
I find wraps so much quicker and use less product. x

Do you girls mean foil wraps? Like what we do with gel polish? Xx

Do you girls mean foil wraps? Like what we do with gel polish? Xx
Yes exactly the same. I file off as much as I can and leave the smallest amount to soak off.

Ah fab thanks!

Have you looked at the easy soak bowls? They are really good :) x
No I haven't, I have looked at them on nsi but I don't see how much difference it will make. Aren't they just a bowl with a lid and individual holes/finger slots? Xx

No I haven't, I have looked at them on nsi but I don't see how much difference it will make. Aren't they just a bowl with a lid and individual holes/finger slots? Xx
Are you only filing off the gel polish and around the perimeter? File as much of the acrylic as you can until you're close to the nail plate then soak. It will just wipe straight off

Apologies for being thick but I'm tired, it's been a long day lol so you can use foils for acrylic removal ciderella? I used to use that method for gel polish but since starting at the salon I just use a bowl like the other girls xx

I use both. If I'm honest it depends upon how long my day has been and how tired I am. I find foils quicker for both but occasionally I do soak but it uses so much more acetone.
For acrylic I file as much of the acrylic as I can without touching the nail plate then I half cotton wool pads, soak in acetone and wrap in foil. It's off in 10 minutes X

Are you only filing off the gel polish and around the perimeter? File as much of the acrylic as you can until you're close to the nail plate then soak. It will just wipe straight off
No I literally just file the gel polish off and rough up the acrylic, the bowl method just isn't working for me, by the time I've got to the third finger it's hardened again. I was sat there for over an hour today constantly scraping and putting back in xx

I use both. If I'm honest it depends upon how long my day has been and how tired I am. I find foils quicker for both but occasionally I do soak but it uses so much more acetone.
For acrylic I file as much of the acrylic as I can without touching the nail plate then I half cotton wool pads, soak in acetone and wrap in foil. It's off in 10 minutes X
I'm struggling with filing too though, I don't think I could hack filing that much down. I dont like using too much pressure as I'm still abit worried about cutting them and my technique isn't great.. I'm ok going up and over the bridge but I can't get the angle to come down xx

Also what is a heat pad please? I've never heard of this xx

I'm struggling with filing too though, I don't think I could hack filing that much down. I dont like using too much pressure as I'm still abit worried about cutting them and my technique isn't great.. I'm ok going up and over the bridge but I can't get the angle to come down xx
Hill not bridge lol

I used a 100 grit file before. You'll be soaking for ages if you don't file it down.
I not use an efile for removals and infills which is quicker but I'd still recommend filing as much as you feel comfortable removing. Maybe others are doing different but that was how I was trained X

I think you may have asked about efile training recently. I wouldn't recommend it until you're comfortable and confident using a file.

I can't thank my teacher enough for properly showing us how to hold a file and shape a nail by hand, which comes in super handy when you are filling down any product. I think it is all down to how you hold your file and using the whole length of the file. In any case, Suzie (Canadian Nail Tech on Youtube) has a brill video showing how she removes acrylic with both an e-file and a hand file You also have Kirsty from Naio Nails on Youtube, she has a beautiful hand filling routine, and if you look at her movement and how she uses the whole file when she is filing, that will show you how to take down a lot of product without wrecking your hands/wrists.

You mentioned there are other girls in the salon working with you, have you taken a peak at their filling/removal method?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291708584028

someone on a nail group recommends these as they are reusable, quick & easy to sanitise. Literally put an acetone soaked cotton ball onto the nail & clamp. They work the same as foil apparently. She commented that her clients think they look professional too xx

Edit; I realise these say toes but they have exact same ones for fingers haha! These were just a quick link I grabbed for you xx

Latest posts

Back