Adhesive allergy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danii27

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently on the enhancement section of my CND course and have had quite a nasty reaction to the adhesives we used to apply the tips.

The adhesives (gelbond & another CND one in a red bottle- I didn't catch the name) both contain something called cyanoacrylate (hope that's spelled correctly) which sets me off with flu like symptoms and wheezing. It's also found in superglue which is how I know I have an allergy as I suffered with a bad reaction to this previously.

I got so bad yesterday after a day in class I thought I was going to have to take a trip to A&E as I became very short of breath. I know I could of been exposed to more than I have been previously with the other students using it as well but we were using it properly, as trained, I was making a concerted effort not to breath in the vapours and we were in a well ventilated salon.

I guess my question is are there any other techs out there that have this allergy and have found a work around? A different glue maybe or a mask which protects them? I'm thinking that the answer in the long term is to sculpt rather than use tips but a. I haven't learnt sculpting yet and may find I'm totally pants at it. - and b. is this really feasible to be a nail tech and never use tips?

I'm really enjoying my course and I'm currently worrying that I won't be able to finish it properly or do my practice this week as I can't risk being exposed to the adhesive again.

Poor you, hope you find a solution x

Poor you, hope you find a solution x

Thanks x - I do to, I could have cried yesterday thinking about it if I wasn't so short of breath!
Im really loving the course and just want to practice practice practice but yesterday's reaction was so bad i feel like I can't risk it. )-:

Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? - I've ordered a mask so I can try and get my practice done. Hopefully it helps!

Thanks x - I do to, I could have cried yesterday thinking about it if I wasn't so short of breath!
Im really loving the course and just want to practice practice practice but yesterday's reaction was so bad i feel like I can't risk it. )-:

Fact is, you cannot use it. You are allergic to EC resin and ALL nail adhesives are EC Resin. You are going to have to learn to sculpt ASAP and forget tips and adhesive. Discuss with your educator and do not use the EC again. You are not the only person who is allergic to EC but fortunately the alternative is sculpting and you won't have to use it again. Shame but it is what it is.

Super glue is Methyl Cyanoacrylate as opposed to Ethyl Cyanoacrylate nail adhesive. ... Same family and same reaction.

Fact is, you cannot use it. You are allergic to EC resin and ALL nail adhesives are EC Resin. You are going to have to learn to sculpt ASAP and forget tips and adhesive. Discuss with your educator and do not use the EC again. You are not the only person who is allergic to EC but fortunately the alternative is sculpting and you won't have to use it again. Shame but it is what it is.

Super glue is Methyl Cyanoacrylate as opposed to Ethyl Cyanoacrylate nail adhesive. ... Same family and same reaction.

Thanks Geeg for your input on this. I thought this might be the case as have been looking into it a bit and it didn't look like there was an alternative I could use.

Will give my educator a call to discuss! Think I might book some 121 sculpting classes ASAP as don't want to give up on L&P!

Thanks Geeg for your input on this. I thought this might be the case as have been looking into it a bit and it didn't look like there was an alternative I could use.

Will give my educator a call to discuss! Think I might book some 121 sculpting classes ASAP as don't want to give up on L&P!

Good girl. There is no need to give up or to have to use adhesive. If you feel you do you have to be really careful of the vapours and have good extraction ventilation .. Wear gloves and a good effective mask. This never looks good. So if you can sculpt.. So much the better. X

When I use nail glue at home my eyes pour and sting and I get a runny nose. Thought it might have been my heyfever buy as soon as I put the lid on the glue and stopped using it I was fine x

Latest posts

Back