Advice desperately needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherrysoda

Reaction score
Hello lovely ladies!

Oh where do I start?!
I have recently been made redundant from my job in sales and am thinking of going back into nails but have so many doubts that I'm completely perplexed as to what to do

I qualified with S2 about 9 years ago in L&P and Brisa and had a salon for about 3 years. I then went back into full time employment (not nails) but continued to do some of my clients on a mobile basis.

Over the years, I introduced Shellac (which I love and can't live without ha) and the few clients I do still have only want shellac now.

So here is the dilemma....I so so want to get back into nails as a full time job but don't know where to start .
I don't feel confident to go back into a salon as I'm pretty sure my timing for new sets will be way over an hour and 15 (which I used to be able to do) but at the same time, I can't survive without a wage .

Do you think I could approach salons offering a shellac only service and maybe a reduced price on acrylic/gel to get the practice in?
I'm confident with nail art, especially glitter and stamping (there can never be enough glitter ) and I can do both tips and sculpts (just at a snail pace).

I really do love nails and how creative you can be and really want to make a go of this but the money part (pay) is a worry for me .

Please please help, I am so stuck as to what to do and thank you in advance xox

I think your best possible way it too maybe have a secure part time job and then rent space or work from home and focus on building your clientele and working on your timings xxx

Agree with Nettic that a part time job would give you a regular income whilst allowing you time to build up your business.

On the subject of timings though, I mean, lots of clients don't want to be rushed. I work from home in a professional but relaxed atmosphere, my clients love that they can drink tea, have a chat and a laugh, and unfortunately if my mouth is working, usually my hands are not! Or at least, not so fast! So a new set after 13 years of nails has just taken me 1hr 45 but we've both really enjoyed ourselves lol and she's recommended a friend and her mum. Obv sometimes I'm quicker and infill I'd allow 1hr to 1hr 15 but I'd be wary of reducing your prices because of that.

Just concentrate on producing brilliant work (I'm talking structure and robustness here over decoration) and you'll find your timings will increase on their own. X

Thank you ladies
That's a good plan. I saw a job advertised that paid £8 an hour and they were happy to do some training so might give them a call.
I have one shellac client that has been with me for the last 4 years and we love having a catch up and a natter. That's the part I love about the job too
I spent most of yesterday practicing my smile lines on nail tips which drove me potty as I only have fast setting monomer
Must invest in something a bit more workable ha.
Xx

Thank you ladies
That's a good plan. I saw a job advertised that paid £8 an hour and they were happy to do some training so might give them a call.
I have one shellac client that has been with me for the last 4 years and we love having a catch up and a natter. That's the part I love about the job too
I spent most of yesterday practicing my smile lines on nail tips which drove me potty as I only have fast setting monomer
Must invest in something a bit more workable ha.
Xx
Have a look at cjp nail systems website and fb groups. Lots of us have converted over to their products. Their acrylic is amazing to work with

Have a look at cjp nail systems website and fb groups. Lots of us have converted over to their products. Their acrylic is amazing to work with
Ooo thank you lovely, will have a look now Xx

Latest posts

Back