advice needed about n.m.w and apprenticeship

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natsel

Reaction score
hi i would really appricate some advice from any salon owners out there who employ apprentices aged 19 and above,

i work in a salon where one of the girls is doing an n.v.q level 2 in hairdressing shes already completed her n.v.q level 1 , at the time she wasnt employed through the salon she was on a placement to do the her n.v.q level 1(she was being paid £50 p.w through the training company), and after it was completed because she was doing good she was employed fully by the salon instead of being on a placement .. so this is the difficult part she started her level 1 at 18 and now shes 19 shes on her level 2 with a company called isa, my salon is in wales i dont know if england scotland and ireland have this training company but isa are funded by the w.a.g which stands for welsh assembly goverment , so basically the trainee is funded by this w.a.g to do her training BUT now shes turned 19 i phoned the national minimum wage helpline and because shes 19 they said u have to pay her the lower n.m.w even though she is still an apprentice if she was 19 and hadnt been working there for a year she would be excluded from this but shes been working in my salon for 2 years now, the thing is its only a small out of town salon and we work roughly 38 hours a week which means she would have to be paid around £175 and shes only shampooing and doing very basic hairdressing shes not onto colouring and cutting yet and i cant afford to pay this out as shes only a trainee, so ive had to cut her hours back, but the thing is also this isa training she is with advised me to phone acas as she doesnt think this is right as she said no one would employ trainees if they had to be paid £175 a week

im rather confused so any advice would be grateful does any other salon owners have to pay the minimum wage to there trainnees over 19 ??

sorry if this is a bit long winded but hope u get the jist of it

please help :cry:

I think there is a development rate you can pay of £4.60 an hour as she is less than 21. This is what we have to pay our trainees but as they offer 1/2 price treatments in the salon we make it back anyway.

However if she is undergoing formal training you have a year that you can pay less than this even if she is over 18. How long have you actually employed her for??? I don't think her placement will count as employment.

she started on her n.v.q level 2 in march of this year but shes been employed by the salon for 13 months if you dont count the time she was doing her n.v.q level 1

You might be able to argue that she didn't start her formal training till March so therefore would not be entitled to the minimum wage until March next year.

The law states that apprentices who are aged 19-25 who are in the first 12 months of their apprenticeship are not entitled to the minimum wage.

If you have a look at the buisness link website it has lots if information and a helpline you could call to get more advice.

:hug:thanks for your help:hug: but ive phoned the national minimum wages helpline and she as to be paid lower n.m.w

Latest posts

Back