Advice needed - Eczema & spray tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulesC

Reaction score
I've been approached by someone with Excema on arms & legs who wants a spray tan. She says its not currently active but when it does it can be bad. i've explained that i can't spray over open sores & that a tan may cause a flare up but she's still keen to try. I've considered maybe a patch test but then she says she needs the tan before Sunday leaving very little time for a flare up to calm down. Any advice please ???

I've sprayed a few clients who have exczema so long as it isn't flared up or too flaky. I tend to use a fast tan so that it's not on the skin for very long. Then they can remove it and lather their skin in exczema cream after 2 or 3 hours. It seems to have worked very well.

As long as its not flared it's ok, I always advise them to stick some moisturiser on the eczema just before the tan so it doesn't stick to the dry skin

Thanks for you advice Clare & Sammy xxx

Good advice from both. I would still do a patch test though, as with all clients.

Thanks tanfastic. I'm seeing her tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes. :hug:

Ah well, she cancelled on me as she didn't want to risk a flare up even from a patch test - very sensible in my opinion. I've offered to do a patch test at a later date when she hasn't got a big event going on. Thanks for your advice though x

I wouldn't do it.I think spray tan has far too much in it to irritate the skin and potentially cause the person to become reactive to some of the ingredients a lot of people with eczema also have allergic eczema.

Hi, i dont know what tan solution your using but i totally recommend Vita Liberata its 80% organic and the only UK non toxic tan. So it is beneficial to all clients with any skin problems xxx

Hi, i dont know what tan solution your using but i totally recommend Vita Liberata its 80% organic and the only UK non toxic tan. So it is beneficial to all clients with any skin problems xxx

Vita liberata has been mentioned on here for causing skin rashes I'm not picking that one out but any product that promotes itself as organic is just jumping on the organic bandwagon it means nothing,it happened in the nail industry a few years back with bio and cal gel which I happily use but if you look it up on here it is rightly cause for discussion.What exactly does organic mean when it comes down to a tanning solution.

So Vita Liberata is the only non toxic tan? Could you give the ingredients list here?

And Vita Liberata is beneficial to clients with skins problems eg eczema, psoriasis etc? Can you explain how it is beneficial and what studies have been done to back this up.

Vita liberata has been mentioned on here for causing skin rashes I'm not picking that one out but any product that promotes itself as organic is just jumping on the organic bandwagon it means nothing,it happened in the nail industry a few years back with bio and cal gel which I happily use but if you look it up on here it is rightly cause for discussion.What exactly does organic mean when it comes down to a tanning solution.

I agree, Organic is a big umbrella to take on,certain compamies seem very quick to "big" themselves up

I know that Aviva Labs are 100% up on the organic side of things, Have a look on their website and have a read up.In my opinion they are one of the VERY few that can in good conscience proclaim that they are Organic and Hypo-allergenic. Their solution only contains 13 ingredients, a lot less things to cause allergies, some solutions contain a host of ingredients including many that are known to cause irritation and allergic reactions.

have a look at this and then see my other recent post regarding this same product.

http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unatural/189843-fake-tan-time-bomb-myth-reality.html

Send Chris a message and he will let you have the list of ingredients for the solutions you request.

At least you can make your own mind up without listening to all the hype and marketing that goes with research and distributors or manufactrers trying to convince you that theirs is best and all the others arent. LOL

Good luck

let us know what you decide

Last edited:
I use Organics from Beautytrix and I have psoriasis and a few of my clients have ezcema and have sprayed them in the same solution and never had a problem if anything it has helped it clear up a flare up.

I would have no problem spraying someone with psoriasis you would have to make allowances for the dry areas and use barrier cream so it wouldnt grab and also not spray if areas of skin were broken,but eczema would be a definite no for me.

I agree, Organic is a big umbrella to take on,certain compamies seem very quick to "big" themselves up

I know that Aviva Labs are 100% up on the organic side of things, Have a look on their website and have a read up.In my opinion they are one of the VERY few that can in good conscience proclaim that they are Organic and Hypo-allergenic. Their solution only contains 13 ingredients, a lot less things to cause allergies, some solutions contain a host of ingredients including many that are known to cause irritation and allergic reactions.

have a look at this and then see my other recent post regarding this same product.

http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unatural/189843-fake-tan-time-bomb-myth-reality.html

Send Chris a message and he will let you have the list of ingredients for the solutions you request.

At least you can make your own mind up without listening to all the hype and marketing that goes with research and distributors or manufactrers trying to convince you that theirs is best and all the others arent. LOL

Good luck

let us know what you decide

The problem with eczema is you never know what can cause a flare up and it doesn't have to be anything artificial it can be something quite innocent fo everyone else.This is probably why it is often contraindicated for treatments.Using common sense spraying someone for a one off who has mild eczema would probably be ok but regular spray tans on someone who has chronic eczema would be very unwise

More often my clients have found their flare ups are stress related and when they have a tan they feel good and not feel as stressed so it calms down. I have sprayed over flare ups ( not open ones) not put barrier cream on ( never use it) and just sprayed over as normal and had no problems with the beautytrix organic. Must admit other solutions I've had problems with if usin it on myself or my daughter who also has flare ups

Vita I use it on my clients with skin disorders n very dry skin works great x

Latest posts

Back