Advice needed, gel lifting at free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinkerbel

Reaction score
myself and my sister trained to be nail techs last year

i dont know its fair to name who we trained with but the product is christrio

im not sure the training was good or the product is either... we've both been talking it over and are having the same problems

i dont feel very confidence in the product, its christrio. can i have any opinions on this?

i cant really afford to train again? it cost me alot of money to do this in the first place

any advice would really be great because we are both at a lost

hi tinkerbell
iv never heard of the products you are using
if you can tell us what exactly the problem is with the gel mayby we can give u some advice. it mite not be the gel thats the problem some times its the training and the way its being applied that can be the problem.
ciara

hi tinkerbell
iv never heard of the products you are using
if you can tell us what exactly the problem is with the gel mayby we can give u some advice. it mite not be the gel thats the problem some times its the training and the way its being applied that can be the problem.
ciara

ok its lumpy lifting from the fe

ive just done a search on it and apparently this is a common problem

im worried :irked:

are u prepin the nails properly?
are u bringing the product too close to the skin?
are u curing it for long enough?
are u sealing in your last layer of gel?
sorry for all the questions tinkerbell but sometimes something really simple can cause huge problems.

are u prepin the nails properly?
are u bringing the product too close to the skin?
are u curing it for long enough?
are u sealing in your last layer of gel?
sorry for all the questions tinkerbell but sometimes something really simple can cause huge problems.

no not bringing it too close to the skin
yep cure is fine
its just a one phase gel
thanks ok ask away id like to get to the bottom of it because i gave it up for a while my sister stayed at it and she has the same problems

it is very annoying

Did you remove the shine off the tips you're using?

Are you capping the free edge with the gel?

Did you remove the shine off the tips you're using?

Are you capping the free edge with the gel?

yep to both

honestly im not missing any of the steps!

How long have you been using your UV lamp?
Could it be that the bulbs need changing?

How long have you been using your UV lamp?
Could it be that the bulbs need changing?

no its been pretty much like this since we both have used the product

most people come back and say that its lifting etc

what could be the reason for the gel being lumpy ?

most people come back and say that its lifting etc

what could be the reason for the gel being lumpy ?
I would say that the gel isn't self levelling, but you shouldn't find it overly lumpy.
Is it the white that's lumpy or all of the gels?

Lifting usually occurs due to insufficient prep and/or soft tissue contact (as previously mentioned by Ciara), are you making sure the nail plate is thoroughly cleansed and dry before you begin your application?

Talk us through your prep and what you do, we might see something that you could change that'll help you.

I would say that the gel isn't self levelling, but you shouldn't find it overly lumpy.
Is it the white that's lumpy or all of the gels?

Lifting usually occurs due to insufficient prep and/or soft tissue contact (as previously mentioned by Ciara), are you making sure the nail plate is thoroughly cleansed and dry before you begin your application?

Talk us through your prep and what you do, we might see something that you could change that'll help you.

ok from start to finish

santize hands my own

clip fe and push back cuticles

remove the pterygium throughly

remove shine

dust nail

wipe nail with wiping solution (whole nail)

glue the tips no air bubbles etc

clip them to size

file away shine on tip

dust nail and wipe again with solution

apply a thin layer of gel 1/8 of an inch away from the cuticle to the fe cure the nail for one min

drip a small drop of gel in the middle of the natural nail work it around the nail

apply white gel cure for one min apply smile line

apply thin layer of pink gel cure for one min

apply gel brush down towards the tip drip and drag the gel to build to get the look c curve you want

cure for three mins max 5 mins

wipe with solution

file edges to shape

Does the gel system you use not have a bond/primer?

I'm not a gel gal , but when you say 'File edges to shape', are you sure you are not filing away the capping gel on the free edge?
This can happen with L&P too if not capped.

when u say "file shine off tip" i presume you blend the tip
as for shaping the tip at the end its sounds to me like u are breakin the seal on ur gel and this would cause ur gel to lift from the free edge.
with the system i use after you have applied your base , white and builder gel i would normally lightly buff over the whole nail and redefine the shape. then i apply the final coat of gel making sure i seal it in on the tip and cure. hope im not confussing you more .
ciara

when u say "file shine off tip" i presume you blend the tip
as for shaping the tip at the end its sounds to me like u are breakin the seal on ur gel and this would cause ur gel to lift from the free edge.
with the system i use after you have applied your base , white and builder gel i would normally lightly buff over the whole nail and redefine the shape. then i apply the final coat of gel making sure i seal it in on the tip and cure. hope im not confussing you more .
ciara

yeah i kinda am

file shine off tip means sorry my bad remove shine etc

filing the nail if extentions are going on

i follow the instructions exactly

just wanted to say that christrio is a well known brand in the usa.
but not so much here because it has not had a distributor in u.k for long.

are you using natural tips or white?

gel is bumpy because you are not doing any finish filing before applying the final layer. only very experienced techs can apply gel perfectly without the need for some refining.

just wanted to say that christrio is a well known brand in the usa.
but not so much here because it has not had a distributor in u.k for long.

are you using natural tips or white?

gel is bumpy because you are not doing any finish filing before applying the final layer. only very experienced techs can apply gel perfectly without the need for some refining.

they said its a non filing gel ??? i wasnt taught to do that??

they said its a non filing gel ???
If it's non filing then that means it's self levelling... however, I've been using Brisa gel for nearly 3 years now and I'm confident and proficient in the application, that said, I could never do without buffing/filing to finish the shape, there's usually some final shaping to be done before removing dust and applying the Finishing Gloss.

I agree with Bev and Ciara in that you're more than likely filing off the seal.

Try doing your filing/buffing and final shaping before applying your last layer of gel or your finishing gloss if Christrio has one, make sure you use a 180 grit abrasive to give the enhancement a 'key' for the last layer of gel to adhere to (the surface needs to be dust and oil free), apply your last layer and make sure you run the gel brush around the free edges, this will cap the nail and you should hopefully not have any more lifting.

Latest posts

Back