Advice needed-hairdressing start up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3xya

Rebecca
Reaction score
Hi sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere but I am looking for some advice.

I am currently a mobile hair extensionist and struggling as I am just starting out and there seems to be a lot of other people offering the same service. I do have a few clients but not enough to leave my current job and do this full time. I am looking into hairdressing courses so I can also offer a wider range of services.

I have been looking at a local college and saks academy for training. The prices between the two courses are huge! is it best to train with a local college or a private company like saks for the best training?

If I am paying more then triple the price is it really any betters training?

Also I don't expect people to post their income but can you make a comfortable wage by been a mobile hairdresser around children? I would ideally like to aim for £1400 a month profit working full time around school hours so I can leave my current job and wondered whether this is realistic?

Thank you
Rebecca

Would you be doing evenings and weekends or just school hours?

Hi thank you for your reply

I'm thinking of doing Monday Tuesday Wednesday 10-3 around drop offs and pick ups for school hours. Thursday and Friday all day maybes 10-9 for evening appointments. And the odd weekend appointment for example a christening ladies day etc for special occasions. X

Ok, take your highest paid service, take the number of working hours above (what you plan to work plus traveling time between clients) times the two numbers and that's what you can potentially make when you have enough clients :)

As for saks/college there was a post on here the other day, the general theme was go for college

I couldn't make a business out of hair extensions alone but that is just me, lots of people on here do tho :)

Thank you :) I'l use that to work it out yeah the college course is miles cheaper so maybe a better option. I would love to just do hair extensions but there are so many people out there doing the same and I'm struggling to get the business x

Thank you :) I'l use that to work it out yeah the college course is miles cheaper so maybe a better option. I would love to just do hair extensions but there are so many people out there doing the same and I'm struggling to get the business x

Just remember though, there are also hundreds of people out there also doing hairdressing.

I'm thinking of doing Monday Tuesday Wednesday 10-3 around drop offs and pick ups for school hours. Thursday and Friday all day maybes 10-9 for evening appointments.

Also, you need to factor in cancellations and general delays on the part of the client.
If you had to leave at 3pm for a school pick up, you probably wouldn't book a colour in after 1pm, just in case there was any delay getting started. Generally, tints can't be washed off earlier if they haven't had full development time, as the last 5 - 10 minutes is when the toning occurs.

Cutting can be particularly profitable if you are good and reasonably efficient, especially if you can organise bookings with several members of the family together or a couple of friends, thereby reducing the time wasted travelling.

However, be aware that you probably won't be a confident cutter after completing level 2 and will need more training and a lot of practice, so factor this into your training/start up costs.

If you are trying to work out potential profit remeber:

some days you won't have bookings
some services will have a low profit margins

and you will need to take a holiday occasionally!

Latest posts

Back