Advice on best way to remove grey/khaki tones from blonde hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siansy

Reaction score
Hey guys ,
I should have know better on this one but usually works with lighter tones .
Client usuall has 11/02 roots as grey in dark and bleach highlights with beige 8/13 and 9/13 subtle multitones
She had gone to just bleach but its too bright so I squeezed her in yesterday eve to correct . I weaved through 8/13 and 7/13 +8/3 mix thinking its going to fade fast as so light so take that bit darker to allow . I did put more foils in with these colours than normal as no bleach . Waiting with client until developed then left her to wash as had next client to go to. This client usually washes own has anyway while I wait.
So due to blonde , porosity and a combination of too many beige foils and the darker my poor client now has the dreaded grey rinse and slightly khaki .
I'm going back later today to sort .
I am thinking a very short gentle bleach bath should remove it but trying to think what would be a good toner if still a bit white . I also have some sachets of Malibu colour remover which is very gentle but haven't used these before .
Any advice or ideas would be very very appreciated , thankyou x

doing a light bleach bath is enough! but if you wanna tone it use 9 or 10/38 I used it tone highlights that went too ashy and it was lovely!

Thankyou Tom , that's great , I'd be a bit worried about the / 8 part though is that not an ash type tone . Maybe a 9/3 but fingers crossed the bleach bath works x

Why did you use a 13 to start with? U would give it a detox shampoo and then go back through with a lighter bleach bath

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thankyou Tom , that's great , I'd be a bit worried about the / 8 part though is that not an ash type tone . Maybe a 9/3 but fingers crossed the bleach bath works x

yeah it is but it's the secondary tone, gold is the strongest tone in that colour so it gives a nice tone without being to warm!

I'm assuming you using l'oreal.
On porous prelightened hair .13 nearly always comes out khaki I find.

1 ash (blue) 3 gold (yellow) = green

Coupled with the fact the hair is porous

Why did you use a 13 to start with? U would give it a detox shampoo and then go back through with a lighter bleach bath

I used /13 as ive used this on this client for about 6 years . usually inbetween bleach highlights , scattered and fine. either level 10, 9 0r 8 . it has always been perfect for the beige look she likes but last time she wanted to try just bleach highlights , this was a little too bland and bright so we were going back to the beige tones .

I had told her to wash a few times and by the time i arrived today the over tone of grey was gone actually leaving a really cool soft blonde so worked out well removing the yellow.
I tried the Malibu Correction sachet first to remove the 7/13 lowlight as still a touch grey . and this worked wonders. what a fabulous product at only £1.60 . shall definately be carrying these in my kit as a just in case. colour was perfect. lovely blonde with ligher beige tones running through so no need for any bleach or toner .

thankyou for your help

Yes .13 was fine on your tinted nice hair. You've bleached it, it's more pourous, lighter so the result is different. Unfortunately green!

No i didnt use L'oreal , it was Avec NXT colours , i believe it was going that shade darker to a level 7 and to many foils with too much tint . it flooded the blonde with the ash as usual the over all effect has no khaki at all .

Malibu is a fantastic product for colour correction like removing toners. I used some yesterday to take out purple-grey from prelightened hair where the client had over used blue shampoo.

Yes .13 was fine on your tinted nice hair. You've bleached it, it's more pourous, lighter so the result is different. Unfortunately green!

Thankyou Colourgirly , but the hair has always been bleached , usually all with foils and alternate tint with the same beige tones used but finer, lighter and not as many . Up until now the colour result has been perfect . thankfully all sorted , quickly and kindly to the hair .

Malibu is a fantastic product for colour correction like removing toners. I used some yesterday to take out purple-grey from prelightened hair where the client had over used blue shampoo.

Thanks Adam , isnt it just , we were gobsmaked . ive had it for a good year in my kit bag alongside the preparation sachet as well ,
have you used it at all for more deeper and darker corrections at all ?
i try to avoid those harsh removers if possible , so unpredictable if recolouring .

Thanks Adam , isnt it just , we were gobsmaked . ive had it for a good year in my kit bag alongside the preparation sachet as well ,
have you used it at all for more deeper and darker corrections at all ?
i try to avoid those harsh removers if possible , so unpredictable if recolouring .

I haven't used it for darker corrections but I one of my friends said he has got up to two levels of lift. It does seem to work really well on prelightened hair and hair that is discoloured from iron or copper metals. I think every colourist should have some. Also using Clear + 20vol is good for lifting out colour.

Yes definately , its such a quick fix as well , im going to browse at there other products as well and will check out the clear + , i havent come across that before , thankyou :)

Yeah if your permanent colour line has a clear shade like INOA or chromastics you can use that. Alternatively you can use a level 10 but perferably one that doesn't deposit or cover white hair.

I'm not sure how much difference between the different Malibu packets they seem to have pretty much the same ingrediants. But I do use the scalp one sometimes if you get dry or itchy scalp.

Yeah if your permanent colour line has a clear shade like INOA or chromastics you can use that. Alternatively you can use a level 10 but perferably one that doesn't deposit or cover white hair.

I'm not sure how much difference between the different Malibu packets they seem to have pretty much the same ingrediants. But I do use the scalp one sometimes if you get dry or itchy scalp.

Im freelance so have many colour options , i use Capital for my stock and although Wella trained tend to use the Avec NXT brand alongside the wella and L'oreal for their reds . Wella definately has a clear or /00 .
Thats an interesting observation with the ingredients and thats also good to know re itchy scalp , i have a few clients that suffer with that , thanks again .

Latest posts

Back