Advice on client's nails-psoriasis?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magicalkayles

Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1399748238.512403.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1399748250.377090.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1399748263.697147.jpg

Hi hoping for some advice x
This shellac client has been told she has psoriasis of the nails can anyone say if they've seen this before and if it looks that way to them? The affected nails grow very quickly but then break very low (the nail looks as though it's lifting from the bed) the other nails are healthy. The psoriasis treatment she's been given doesn't seem to be helping hence this post. Thanks experts x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1399748503.718025.jpg
Just uploading the first pic in better quality x

many 'experts' would advise that you tell this lady to see a GP and not rely on opinions. This screams contraindication to me.

If she has been to her GP and the treatment is not working then she needs to go back.

It was the GP that advised it is psoriasis not opinions, she had the nails tested a long time ago for fungal infection and it was negative. I know psoriasis cannot be cured completely so I wasn't sure whether the treatment would actually help. I just wondered if anyone had seen anything similar amongst their clientele

Hi, Personally I would recommend your client to go and see a dermatologist ... most GP's know very little about psoriasis and the many different kinds. A dermatologist can do many treatments a GP can never offer. Definitely a contra-indication! :)

Sent from my GT-P5210 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a client with this problem and she has a dermatologist. We shellac her nails. There is nothing that can be done about her particular case other than your typical creams and stuff like that so I just have all her own stuff like files etc and I shellac her nails as per normal.

If the nail breaks & crumbles ,I think she has got a fungal infection .years ago I had something similar to this on my big toe nail it never seemed to grow & would just crumble & break off. I went to the dr as one of the girls I worked with said it looks like a fungal infection , it was and he put on a course of antibiotics & it cleared up in no time.

Every case is different ( and yes we all know we aren't doctors and cannot diagnose ) we also know that doctors are only human and can get things wrong ( I'm not saying this is the case but if the nail changes colour I would have my doubts that it is just psoriasis )
Here's a client of mine who also has psoriasis and I've had the all clear to treat her.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1400913732.860754.jpg

My mum has psoriasis on her nails like this too. She has to keep them short and files them regularly as they grow much quicker. I got her to use Nailtiques protein formula 2 on her nails and it's really improved them. They now grow much closer to the nail bed without lifting as much and are stronger and healthier.
Could be worth a try for your client? You can't cure psoriasis but you could help to improve it. Good luck!

Thankyou for all your replies, very helpful! The nails don't crumble but the ones that are affected seem to grow quicker than the others, I think they get too long between appointments though as she doesn't do anything to them herself hence breaking low down. Dermatologist is a great idea will recommend that to her. Must be so annoying I'm sure shellac probably isn't helping her but having them covered over makes her feel so much better about her nails x

I had a hard gel client with nails like this. She only had a couple of them affected at first, it wasn't bad at all, she said they've always been like that and it must've been from a trauma. The nails did not change colour, didn't crumble and it did not look fungal, so we proceeded with the service. But after a few months of having gels all her nails got progressively worse, so we naturally freaked and she went to a doctor to get tested. Turned out it was psoriasis, so she got treatment and was told to stay away from gel nails, as it seemed to make her nails worse. But once they started to get better she got an OK to have normal nail varnish (there was no shellac back then yet), so that's what we did.

I would give it at least 3/4 months after medical treatment to see if there is any improvement. I can't imagine shellac would do any harm,but if you wanted to be 100% sure, get her to ask her GP for a note that confirms this and keep a copy for your records.

Sent from my HTC One V using SalonGeek mobile app

It looks a lot like my nail that I had psoriasis on. It took almost 9 years to grow normally and can still get irritated occasionally. Shellac seems to help mine but I wouldn't recommend you did it on a customer without a doctors note. As the dehydrating of the nail with scrub fresh could do more damage to it.

Just an update this clients nails got worse so she went back to the gp, they have done more tests on clippings of the nails and they have come back negative. We are painting them with polish at the moment instead of shellac so she can use the treatment more often on them. Psoriasis sure is a pain :(

Latest posts

Back