Advice on deposits

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peppy

Reaction score
Hi can anybody give me the 'legality' behind deposits and paying for block bookings in the UK

I take deposits for some treatments and also upfront payments for block bookings.

I've got a couple of clients who keep cancelling last minute and want to rearrange which in effect is taking 2 slots for one price and I'm loosing out financially.

Can I refuse to reschedule and say they have lost it even though they have paid in advance?

I've had a situation with this, Even if a client cancels last min they still think the deposit sits in a little bank waiting for thèm.
I had a regular no-show and asked her for a deposit of the full amount (£19) then when she didn't show she blasted me as a thief! Be very careful with deposits as I'm not sure if they can really be enforced

ah thanks. Yes, im having problems too, a customer has cancelled 3 times now with just hours notice and is threatening solicitors etc as ive said it was too late notice so cant reschedule again :(

Okay this is all talk so don't worry. Do you have a clear cancellation and deposit policy? Did you make this clear to her?
If so, stand your ground.
If not, learn from this, refund deposit, NEVER book her in again and start as you mean to go on with policy.

Honestly. I've had so much rubbish lately I'm now made of stone!:lol:

Also I would understand to lose a deposit if I did it 3 times!
Even if people cancel dead on the time of their appointment they wonder why you 'can't get them in for weeks :p '

I had a classic text this morning (ten mins before app time).
Sorry can't get to you as forgot about Easter hols when I booked, will re-book next week, thought I would let you know so you can get someone else in'

So many things wrong with that message!!!!:evil:

Hi can anybody give me the 'legality' behind deposits and paying for block bookings in the UK

I take deposits for some treatments and also upfront payments for block bookings.

I've got a couple of clients who keep cancelling last minute and want to rearrange which in effect is taking 2 slots for one price and I'm loosing out financially.

Can I refuse to reschedule and say they have lost it even though they have paid in advance?
If you have a website then put your T&Cs on there and make sure your cancellation policy is clear and states the notice period required for changing the appointment and for last minute cancellation timescale and what the penalties will be.

I only accept deposits for multiple treatments fron new clients and I only accept it by a bank transfer or if its paid in person as PayPal and Streamline generally favour the client if its a CNP transaction if they dispute the payment if they cancelled or failed to turn up. I lost a few deposits in the past this way so the bank transfer works for me..

You can take a deposit and its non refundable. While mobile I took deposits and no way unless they were dead would they get it refunded, nor would the appointment be changed. The deposit was for that appointment time not another, cancel it in under 48 hours and tough. Happily lost some of my regulars through it. Regular as in regularly canceled or rescheduled last minute.

Be tough, stand your ground, and if you feel you can't, see yourself as an employee of the business and all you are doing is following orders, its much easier when your disconnected xoxo

You can take a deposit and its non refundable. While mobile I took deposits and no way unless they were dead would they get it refunded, nor would the appointment be changed. The deposit was for that appointment time not another, cancel it in under 48 hours and tough. Happily lost some of my regulars through it. Regular as in regularly canceled or rescheduled last minute.

Be tough, stand your ground, and if you feel you can't, see yourself as an employee of the business and all you are doing is following orders, its much easier when your disconnected xoxo

I definately want to enforce something similar as there are too many people who think it is ok to cancel an hour before the appointment.
How word you word this in "firm and to the point, but still pleasant" kind of way!?
I like the idea of the 48hr time frame to either cancel or change or loose the deposit.

What would you do though, if someone was to cancel outside of the 48hr and not rebook? Would you return the deposit?

hi, thanks for all your replies.

Luckily, the lady hasn't come back to me again after I ignored her threats about what her solicitor will do to me :evil:

Its taken me a while to click on that im actually loosing money and potential new clients by keep rearranging appointments - no more! lol x

To cover yourself a bit more you can word it as a non-refundable booking fee rather than deposit. This stands more weight legally.

ah that sounds great, thanks!

Latest posts

Back