Advice on strange nail!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendynailedit

Reaction score
Hi Geeks
I wonder whether anyone can offer advice on a strange nail a friend of mine has please? It's her little finger, and it is growing through with thick ridges across from side to side. It has lost it's strength and breaks easily too. I thought it might be a damaged nail bed but the same finger has very dry, sore skin from the knuckle to the nail.
I'm just starting out (training booked it 2 weeks) so it may be something obvious tht I'll learn about straight away but just wondered?
Thanks! :confused:

One ridge or several ridges? If the skin is dry and red its sounding like a skin disorder of some kind....

oops ! or psoriasis,
sorry i couldnt spell that one:sad:

oops ! or psoriasis,
sorry i couldnt spell that one:sad:

Ditto! Sounds like a skin disorder affecting the matrix or bed of the nail causing abnormal nail growth. Dermatologist would b the best person to help with this one.

Thick ridges across the nail would indicate to me transverse furrows, however if the skin being red and dry etc there could be a combination of things, very hard to tell having not saw the nail. If ever in any doubt refer the client to seek medical advice as you may send her to dermatologist and could be something needing medical treatment. If it is transverse furrows you can treat this by regular buffing the nail to improve the ridges and using a ridge filling base coat. Very hard to say with no picture though

Thanks for the advice guys....I'll suggest she goes to her doctor...:sad:

Latest posts

Back