Advice on this please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty-Mai

Reaction score
Hi all have a lady with me who has been coming for a couple of years now , lovely healthy nails, three week shellac wearer, regular-ish solar oiler. We took her shellac off at her last visit and noticed a slight chip and brownish/black line running down the centre of the nail from chip tthrough lunula to eponychium. I filed the chip down as it was very small and reshellaced. Just taken it off and although the line has faded the vertical chip is still present and hasn't grown out and is actually deeper than it was. I'm assuming some sort of trauma but she says she doesn't recall doing anything to it. Any advice on how to proceed or what may have caused it? I've attached a photo. Many thanks in advance x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1391460556213.jpg
    1391460556213.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 385
  • 1391460575152.jpg
    1391460575152.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 381
Hi, I have a regular Shellac wearer who has this. She has had it for years , long before she came to me for Shellac. She can't recall what caused it and the nail splits down vertically by about 3mm. I put a silk wrap over it and Shellac and it holds for 2 weeks and beyond. X

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I used brisa sculpting gel in the end to just cover the split and build the free edge up slightly as she said she keeps catching it and picking at it. Will see how it is in three weeks time. Thanks again x

Has she always had a slight ridge there? My mum has a nail like this, it started off as a very slight ridge a few years ago and as she got older it just got worse and worse then started splitting like this. She has become a real avid user of solar oil which has helped a great deal but it still catches and splits if she lets it grow too long

I have seen this before. If the split does in fact run all the way to the cuticle area then she have dropped something on her finger causing damage to the matrix.

Tiger

I have seen this before. If the split does in fact run all the way to the cuticle area then she have dropped something on her finger causing damage to the matrix.

Tiger

Actually, I have seen this as well, and it's not always due to trauma. I agree that sometimes as clients get older and start getting ridges in their nails, the nails can become more brittle over time and if conditions are just right, then a split will happen vertically and go up the nail where a slight ridge was. I think it's a weak area of the nail. It's like when you fold a piece of plastic and it becomes weaker where you folded it until it will eventually split where the fold is. I think ridges are like that. The nail becomes weaker where the ridge is. These clients need regular nail fixes and to stay on top of using their cuticle oil to keep their nails supple and less brittle. IMO.

Thank you all for your comments. I don't recall seeing a specific ridge on this nail but she is an older lady so maybe this is something she will have to live with. I''ll encourage the solar oil again and keep the nail short or, if it works this time, will extend ever so slightly with brisa sculpting gel. Thanks again x

Latest posts

Back