Advice on Wella colour usage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our Wella technician says only use double base when the hair looks like fishing wire (her words not mine) otherwise you will get enough coverage with normal base. If you do decide to go with double bases though following others advice on here just be aware of the possibility of it going darker.

Color touch does not lift. You can only colour same depth or darker with it so the 4% will not lift, only makes colour more vibrant. You should only use 4% with the intensive shades. Color touch is designed to last up to 15 shampoos and cover up to 50% white hair. If you use 4% on anything other than intensive shades then there's a good chance that the colour will last longer than 15 shampoos and will create a regrowth. Whilst this is great for some clients who want more coverage, they should really be paying for a permanent tint as in most salons they cost more than a quasi/semi colour so effectively you're losing money.

Just 1 more thing perfecton is part of the Wella range and I would definitely recommend it. It is like a first aid kit for colourists :)

Our Wella technician says only use double base when the hair looks like fishing wire (her words not mine) otherwise you will get enough coverage with normal base. If you do decide to go with double bases though following others advice on here just be aware of the possibility of it going darker.

Color touch does not lift. You can only colour same depth or darker with it so the 4% will not lift, only makes colour more vibrant. You should only use 4% with the intensive shades. Color touch is designed to last up to 15 shampoos and cover up to 50% white hair. If you use 4% on anything other than intensive shades then there's a good chance that the colour will last longer than 15 shampoos and will create a regrowth. Whilst this is great for some clients who want more coverage, they should really be paying for a permanent tint as in most salons they cost more than a quasi/semi colour so effectively you're losing money.

Just 1 more thing perfecton is part of the Wella range and I would definitely recommend it. It is like a first aid kit for colourists :)

Can stubborn grey hair look like fishing wire sometimes? Im just curious because my neighbours hair who i am doing actually looks like that

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Yes it can and is usually very resistant.

I have just started using the perfection range but as yet am a little unsure of it as I heard is fab for pcolour as well as refresh ?

Have you got any hints on this for me

Ps thanks for your reply

Perfecton is great for pre pigmenting hair to go darker from blonde. It is also great for refreshing dull colours as a temporary measure. I apply it using a neutralising sponge and tend to dry it in rather than rinsing it out.

The /6 and /8 tones are great for neutralising yellow tones on blonde hair, just beware to water them down or you could end up with a blue rinse!

You need to play with perfecton to get used to it but be confident, if you make a mistake and end up with blue hair - bleach and water mixed as a runny consistency removes any unwanted tones immediately.

How would be the best way to do that is it just blondor peroxide with 6% poss then water and just a few minutes of shampooing in then rinse off ?

Also which would be best for pre pig fr going darker

To remove tone it is just bleach and water, no peroxide applied to wet hair at the backwash and rinsed as soon as the tone has been removed (on blonde hair)

To pre pigment to a base 5-7 then I would use /43 (10ml in 100ml of water)
To pre pigment to a base 5-2 then I would use /45 (10ml to 100ml water )

Sponge onto shampooed hair, dry the perfecton in and then apply the target shade over the top.

So her hair is very stubborn then double base it would be then x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Thanks Phillips tutor that's fantastic information
Also don't know about you lea I think this is fab advice
Thanks guys

That would make a tripple base :) too much colour, if it's one shade darker, wouldn't you chose 77/0 then it would become 66/0? :)

Just to add a little side note colour touch covers upto 50% SCATTERED grey as with ct+ 70% scattered grey coverage , as other posters have mentioned , if clients are relatively grey , koleston is a better option, I use ct on grey to give a natural blend and for those that don't require blanket coverage ;)

BBM 0/66 is violet mixtone, not base. I think to may have read my post wrong :)

BBM 0/66 is violet mixtone, not base. I think to may have read my post wrong :)

Oops yeah your right, haha , I think I need to start wearing my glasses again :) sorry x

Me too, sorry for getting your name wrong! Haha

Great advice earlier on colour though, you have excellent product knowledge :)

Love this thread ;) x

Love this thread, good info

You guys are fab...this has helped me too. Have the same sort of client to do tomorrow!! Going to go and try and test strand now!

This is a fab thread, thanks to all for their input. I trained using Wella and we were never given this much info regarding the colour chart. I just learnt something very valuable.

Me too, sorry for getting your name wrong! Haha

Great advice earlier on colour though, you have excellent product knowledge :)

Oh no worries it's serves us right for not reading properly haha :) I'm glad I'm able to help :D all those hours of research and hair mistakes finally paid of :)

Latest posts

Back