advice please! client trapped thumb, and nail coming off!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bud

Reaction score
hi... hope someone can advise....

a client of mine trapped her thub very badly in a car door about 6 weeks ago, and today i saw her for the 3rd appt since the accident!!

the first time she came, the nail was VERY black, but seemed pretty stable (not likely to come off, i thought!) so i rebalanced c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y....

the next visit, the nail was the same, but with some growth, and my client decided she wanted a colour rather than french to hide the bruising.

this time, she came and the nail has grown right up, butit's kind of detached at the bottom, and you can see a new nail growing underneath(?) i'm not sure if i've described it very well or if you can see well enough from the photo?

anyway.. i refused to do anything with this nail today, other than take the length down... despite the client wanting me to infill with coloured gel into the new nail growth underneath! somehow, this didn't seem QUITE the right thing to do, so i told her she would have to show it to a GP / nurse / or even a pharmacist to get a medical opinion, before i could do anything!

so... what do you guys reckon?? anyone had one of these before??

thanks very very much!! xxx

Attachments

• nails 015.jpg
    nails 015.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 3,534
  • nails 016.jpg
    nails 016.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 2,055
3 of my clients have had trapped thumbs and two lost their nails, one didnt, but each time ive refused treatment and service due to their black , bruised nails, until the new nail is grown out long enough to attach a nail onto it,

they moan and they create, but i wont do it,
when i was younger i trapped my nail in a patio door, i applied nail varnish etc and after a few days had an infection that needed a red hot needle pierced through the nail bed to release the pressure etc and it was not a pretty or painfree site ill tell ya!!

so i never service a bruised nail
sorry!!

I think you did the right thing there Laura...
It's not something I've personally come across before, but I think you've advised her correctly.
Let us know how she gets on (new nail etc).

thank-you SO much for your quick response lotus blossom!!

sh*t.... so... i've kinda done totally the wrong thing then? i really couldn't remember it being a contra-indication to treatment.

so what should i do now? i don't really want to soak off, cos i don't like the thought of acetone creeping between the two nails... euuggh!!

I think you did the right thing there Laura...
It's not something I've personally come across before, but I think you've advised her correctly.
Let us know how she gets on (new nail etc).

thanks sandi.... i'm confused now!
so do you think the best course of action is to refuse service on this nail, until the new one has totally grown thru? and leave the existing overlay as it is?

I personally wouldn't want to touch it again until you know for sure what's happening with the nail.

Does it give her any pain? Is it a 'sealed' wound?

yep. no pain, no open wound.. just looks a bit icky!

well...hopefully she will wait until it has grown out some more.

My main concern was that any filing i did over the surface of the gel, to rebalance or remove, would encourage the old nail to dislodge and 'pop' off!

We went over this at my nail school. You do nothing to it.... please don't

Her body is shedding the damaged nail and if you do anything to it right now you may damage the new nail on her bed, and since it is a new nail growing in, it's not fully grown in so it's thinner and softer and more prone to overexposure if you put a chemical on it. do her a favor, give her a pinkie bottle of solar oil and tell her to use it twice a day.

Best Wishes

We went over this at my nail school. You do nothing to it.... please don't

Her body is shedding the damaged nail and if you do anything to it right now you may damage the new nail on her bed, and since it is a new nail growing in, it's not fully grown in so it's thinner and softer and more prone to overexposure if you put a chemical on it. do her a favor, give her a pinkie bottle of solar oil and tell her to use it twice a day.

Best Wishes

thanks hun.. will do!! :hug:

Latest posts

Back