Advice please pros and cons re employing or self employed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlalouise

Reaction score
Hi all

I've got to the point in my salon where I'm working flat out 6 days a week and I'm shattered!! I want the business to grow but I don't know wether to employ or take on someone on a self employed basis.

I know there are pros and cons to both and people have been telling me real horror stories regarding employing, for example, in the next 4 years you will have to contribute to their pension, if they're a nightmare you can't get rid of them, maternity leave! However with self employed they can swan in and out as they please, you can't ask them to adhere to your standards and so it goes on!! So what would you business owners out there say is the best way to go.

Thanks in advance. Xxx

Really good stylists will work well in both ways with the right incentives.....
Unfortunately really good stylists are hard to come by... They don't move about as often..

As you have said bad employees or self employed staff can be a pain

My best advice would be concentrate on finding the best team members you can and see what works best for both of you.. Hth ;)

I know a friend who was an accountant said to me some time ago, if you can avoid employing someone, do! Having said that, I think I will need to start employing my daughter and need to do it properly. I wonder if any small business support groups do a day, for example, on becoming an employer. We looked into it briefly, and I have to say it didn't look quite as bad as I was led to believe. Like you, six days flat out is killing me - am sitting here with a sore throat, I've lost my voice and a full day in the diary - whoop!!! We had a look on employment law etc through google, so need lots more facts and figures, but I am a bit of a control freak, so really don't think I can go down the self employed route (my daughter wants a guaranteed wage)! Let me know how things go x

Pro's of employed are you can assign work, they do as you ask and you gain the most from them but have to cover tax, national insurance, insurance, product etc....

Self employed can do what they want when they want and charge what they want, you have no say whatsoever other than what rent they pay and that they pay you on time but haven't the worry about a slow week meaning you struggle to pay their way or wage, no uniforms to buy, no product costs but the self employed person keeps the money and pays you just the rent which could mean you are earning less than if you had an employee.

You really need to look at your salon and decide what way is best for you. X

Hi, that's great you need to expand well done !
I have done both and I would definitely say employ if you want full control and to make any money from them !
If you know you have enough work coming through the salon that's your best option.
Having someone on payroll is easy but obviously you Need to pay holidays etc.will they be full time or part time ?
I started my therapist of part time and she has gradually increased hours when needed.
If you have self employed they will just rent space and be their own boss really. You can't enforce hours, uniform holidays etc.
All the best which ever you decide. X

Latest posts

Back