Advice please, working from home and in a salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samlintonx

Reaction score
Basically I was in my local beauticians getting my eyebrows done and the girl who works there told me that two of the girls are leaving and starting to their own beauty salon about 20 miles away, and that the owner of the local one will be looking someone who can do acrylics so I said I would be interested in the job and that I will be training in spray tans and waxing soon. So she called her and said to her then she asked for photos of my work and said they were lovely and that she's gonna get me in after Christmas to see what I can do. I'm just wondering if I work there doing nails am I allowed to do my homers still? Or will the owner be annoyed at me? I've built up a good clientele for all the time I've been doing nails and don't think they will all wanna pay the salon prices for them and would like to do them as well as working there part time. Xx

I think the best thing to do is ask the salon owner .....I worked in a salon when I first qualified but at the interview said I had some mobile clients and the salon owner was quite happy for me to continue doing mobile .....but I would be honest ask the question and see what she says x

I think if you are upfront from the start they might not mind

You could also consider renting the desk or doing a percentage split with the owner and staying self employed?

If she's feeling let down by her previous staff leaving, she might be willing to try something different this time.

Basically I was in my local beauticians getting my eyebrows done and the girl who works there told me that two of the girls are leaving and starting to their own beauty salon about 20 miles away, and that the owner of the local one will be looking someone who can do acrylics so I said I would be interested in the job and that I will be training in spray tans and waxing soon. So she called her and said to her then she asked for photos of my work and said they were lovely and that she's gonna get me in after Christmas to see what I can do. I'm just wondering if I work there doing nails am I allowed to do my homers still? Or will the owner be annoyed at me? I've built up a good clientele for all the time I've been doing nails and don't think they will all wanna pay the salon prices for them and would like to do them as well as working there part time. Xx

I personally don't think it has anything to do with the salon owner what you do in your spare time! As long as your not taking her clients, products or time, you do as yo wish in your own time. If its common knowledge in your town and you have a large client base then maybe its best to mention to her that you've built a large clientele and wish to keep them separate to the salon due to the price difference then i'm sure she would understand.

I personally don't think it has anything to do with the salon owner what you do in your spare time! As long as your not taking her clients, products or time, you do as yo wish in your own time. If its common knowledge in your town and you have a large client base then maybe its best to mention to her that you've built a large clientele and wish to keep them separate to the salon due to the price difference then i'm sure she would understand.

But in fairness to salon owners, it does become their business if they employ you, but you also do additional work because you be taking potential new business away from them intentionally.
Especially If you come across someone who loves your nails, and wonders where you have them done, you aren't going to be handing over salon details are you? I'm sure you would be giving your personal details as a mobile/home therapist instead. It doesn't make sense for a salon owner to employ someone who doesn't have a vested interest in that employment, but rather their own personal gain.
Also what happens if a salon client gets wind of your outside work and wants to visit you outside of the salon instead? x

Thanks for the replies! There is no desk to rent there's one nail desk in the salon as only one girl works at a time it's quite small! And yes I get where you're coming from I'll just stick to my own clients I have now and friends etc and just not advertise myself in there I wasn't going to anyway I just want to work there because I don't want to return to my office job after maternity leave and I've always wanted to work there xx

Well, it does depend really. I had the exact same situation as I worked from home for a year, but just needed a bit of steady extra income. So I got a part-time job in the salon and didn't tell them I had a home business. The salon is very far from my home, a totally different area, I never planned to advertise my own business there and never did. In my situation there was no problem to keep those 2 separate. If somebody from the salon's area (like a restaurant next door) asked me about my nails-I'd give them my salon's card, as those people would never travel to see me at home anyway. But if somebody from my area would ask me about my nails-I'd give them my own card, as those potential clients would never travel to the salon that's so far. Do you know what I mean? So I think you just have to be honest. If you honestly think you can keep those separate, and salon's clients won't know that you work from home too-then I don't see a need to tell the owner about it.

Ask the salon owner be honest with them and they will respect you for that good luck

Latest posts

Back