Advice regarding competitors

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5@MB

Reaction score
Hi ladies. I need to have a little rant so I apologise in advance. I am qualified with CND for Shellac and both Brisa Lite systems which are bloody amazing and I love them all. Recently about 10 people local to me have suddenly started doing Gel Enhancements for next to nothing - one lady charges £5! The majority are spade like, flat, white tips that, in my opinion, look terrible. I have tried to explain to my clients about the perfect shape nail, how the structure works etc etc. but I'm loosing clients to these other ladies as they are way cheaper. I'm feeling really deflated and don't know what to do, does anyone have any official wording from CND regarding the perfect nail shape and structure I could post on my fb page? What would you ladies do? I can't advertise anymore than I do but it seems people locally prefer flat spade shaped nails. I don't want to lower my prices and I'm hoping eventually they will come back but its leaving me feeling really fed up. X

Unfortunately there will always be clients with no sense of what is aesthetically pleasing and there will also always be deal chasers. All we can do is keep on doing a great job and build up a client base that appreciates classy looking nails. The cheap and nasty brigade will always have the clients that don't care about the better quality treatment.

I am still shocked when I get a nail biter wanting white tips pasted half way up the nail plate, because that is how they like it.:irked:, fortunately they quickly move on to cheaper pastures.

I know it is hard to compete but if you can afford to it is best to worry about your own business and let them get on with theirs, their clients are either not the type you want any way or they will quickly realize that you get what you pay for, and will be back for a quality treatment at your prices.

Good luck and chin up my lovely, hopefully things will improve.

PS I don't mean to sound ageist but I find that the more mature woman is much more interested in getting those lovely nails and are willing to pay a decent price too. Maybe it would be worth targeting a different demographic? Younger clients and especially Facebook clients ( in my area) tend to want bargains at the risk of sacrificing quality.

Last edited:
PS I dont meant to sound ageist but I find that the more mature woman is much more interested in getting those lovely nails and are willing to pay a decent price too. Maybe it would be worth targetting a different demographic? Younger clients and especially Facebook clients ( in my area)tend to want bargains at the risk of sacrificing quality.

I completely agree!!
I'm starting to lose the will with facebook.
Lots of people on these local sites where you can advertise want the cheapest option- and that's just not me.
Leave them to it.
I also find the older customers are more loyal and prefer a classier and more natural style of nail.
Maybe drop some business cards or leaflets to local day centres, women's institute, churches etc.
Good luck xx

I would forget all of this, block it all out on facebook and carry on your business, lets face it, someone who charges £5 for enhancements this month is not going to be able to afford a restock next month!

I would have a good think about who your client base is and what they want, if I started working for less than minimum wage my ladies would think I'd lost the plot! I tend to keep my pricing mid range and yes, there will always be the ones you lose to the cheap competition but that really doesn't matter unless those are the clients you are desperate to have on your books. x

Thanks ladies. Your right about facebook, its a good tool to get the word out there but people want something for nothing and I'm not willing to do it. I done door to door leaflet dropping in the nicer parts of town but didn't get much from it. Church and Halls are a good idea though. X

Also Golf and Country Clubs, Gyms, Womens Institute, Slimming World, Weight Watchers, try to think of places that ladies who earn well and have older children ( they will then be a little more mature than younger clients and or young mums wanting to save as much money as they can) would go then leave a stack of leaflets or business cards for them to collect when there.

Latest posts

Back