Advice/regulations in UK re dust extractors and masks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikki Martin

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Can anyone help with the current upto date legislation with regards to working with nail dust from gels and acrylics.

Should we wear a mask?
Should we always have an extractor?

I have had conflicting info and allready have asthma so need to be sure

Many thanks x

Have a look on Habia.org they have loads of great information on legislation, health and safety, PPE etc.

It's advised that you have a down draft extractor for your nail desk to extract fumes and dust. Particularly if you're using an E File as the dust particles are much finer than those produced through hand filing.

As far as masks go - they help, but they're not really enough. Also for me I find I feel like I can't have a proper conversation with my clients as sometimes it muffles my voice and they can't see any of my facial expressions!

Hope this helps

xxx

The UK only has recommendations not legislation as it is a completely unregulated industry here. There are the odd exceptions to this depending on your local council.

"The UK only has recommendations not legislation as it is a completely unregulated industry here. There are the odd exceptions to this depending on your local council."

This statement is true only in the fact that the "regulations" (HSE Cohss 13) are not strictly enforced all over the UK. These regulations are the only guidelines used by trading standard officers in EVERY local council where a complaint by a customer, employee, local resident etc is investigated. In many, if not most, local authorities these regulations are strictly enforced when a new licence, or a transfer of licence, is required.
Obviously salons, mobile or home nail therapists can ignore these regulations until they are inspected and they are enforced, but, mainly, the only people that lose from this are the therapists themselves.
The dangers from inhaling nail dust and fumes over extended periods are well documented and are available from the nail product manufacturers themselves in their material safety data sheets on their websites. ( this means you cannot take legal action against them if you get a related illness, as they have warned you).
Further information is available regarding extraction and a link to the HSE regulations on our Ambermist website.
The regulations are very clear that correct extraction is required to protect your health and clearly states that "masks" on their own are not enough.
Ambermist

Last edited:
A Regulation must be adhered to and is legally enforceable.

A Guideline is not enforceable BUT if someone has suffered harm and it can be shown that the harm would have been less severe had the Guideline been followed, this will be taken into consideration by the courts.

The dangers from inhaling nail dust and fumes over extended periods are well documented and are available from the nail product manufacturers themselves in their material safety data sheets on their websites. ( this means you cannot take legal action against them if you get a related illness, as they have warned you).
Ambermist

Producing MSDS for chemical products is a legal requirement.
However, it does not provide immunity from being sued if the product has caused serious harm, in the same way that written Disclaimers have no legal standing in English law.

COSHH SR13 Nail Bars
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/sr13.pdf

It would seem to me that "staff members" making comments on subjects as important as health and safety at work should give full and correct information. The fact that these comments come from a "staff member" would lead a person with little or limited knowledge of the subject matter to believe the "staff member" must be correct.
The opening paragraph of Health and Safety Executive Coshh 13 for "Nail Bars" states that this document will "help employers (including the self employed and franchisees) comply with the "Control of Substances to Health Regulations 2002 (COSHH), as amended, to control exposure and protect workers' health. It is also useful for trade union safety representatives"
" This sheet describes good practise using extraction to control nuisance odours and dusts. It covers the points you need to follow to reduce exposure to an adequate level. It is important to follow all the points or use equally effective measures"
In the summery of this document it states the following. "This guidance is issued by the Health and Safety Executive. Following the guidance is not compulsory and you are free to take other action." BUT if you do follow the guidance you will normally be doing enough to COMPLY WITH THE LAW. Health and safety inspectors SEEK TO SECURE COMPLIANCE WITH THE LAW and may REFER TO THIS GUIDANCE as illustrating good practice.
The two comments by "staff members" are both clearly incorrect. This is not a "completely unregulated industry" and is regulated by the Control of Substances to Health Regulations 2002, as amended, as are all working environments. Whilst HSE Cohss 13 is a guideline document and clearly stated as such, it is a guideline that will help "comply with the Control of Substances to Health Regulations 2002, as amended, which is clearly a regulation, and as such, ENFORCEABLE IN LAW.
Ambermist

Staff Member
AcidPerm
West Cork, Ireland

Today at 11:58 AM #2
There is a barrier cream you could try called 'Gloves in a bottle' which might help. Maybe apply some and wear the gloves too.

However, I found that the dust from filling caused as many problems (affected my breathing) so I had to stop doing nails altogether.

If it's affecting your health, try to be sensible and weigh up the risks.

Without sounding "picky" it would seem to me that a "staff member" giving incorrect information regarding Health and Safety and especially Nail Dust Extraction, should at least have not "stopped doing nails altogether" and at best tell everyone on here how dangerous it is.
Ray Vidler
Ambermist

Staff Member
AcidPerm
West Cork, Ireland

Today at 11:58 AM #2
There is a barrier cream you could try called 'Gloves in a bottle' which might help. Maybe apply some and wear the gloves too.

However, I found that the dust from filling caused as many problems (affected my breathing) so I had to stop doing nails altogether.

If it's affecting your health, try to be sensible and weigh up the risks.

Without sounding "picky" it would seem to me that a "staff member" giving incorrect information regarding Health and Safety and especially Nail Dust Extraction, should at least have not "stopped doing nails altogether" and at best tell everyone on here how dangerous it is.
Ray Vidler
Ambermist

Sorry Ray, but you're not doing yourself any favours with the sarcasm and unnecessary posts. AcidPerm doesn't mention dangerous at all, just that the OP should weigh up the risks, which is perfectly acceptable response in ANY situation let alone nails.

I'd happily hear from you as an expert in the field, but without the sarcasm and snide comments please.

Ray Vidler
Ambermist

I'm at a loss to understand how my stopping doing nails (statement of fact) and advising a fellow geek about the health & safety requirements for a Nail Tech is somehow construed as incorrect information. Would you clarify this please?

As far as I am aware, I haven't given any incorrect information in either post that you are quoting. If you could point out precisely where I have erred, I'm very happy to be corrected.

In fact, as a former lawyer, I am very careful in the wording of my replies, especially as they relate to matters regarding the English legal system.

My fellow staff member was equally correct in her assertion that the Beauty industry is largely unregulated.

The COSHH Regulations cover a variety of industries and are not written specifically for Nail Techs.
The Guidance document written by the HSE (that I have already provided a URL link to in my original post), is designed to give helpful advice to workers within the industry by pulling together both existing legislation that could be useful and other suggestions for best practice.

All of this information is available online and is normally covered in the health & safety unit within the level 2 NVQ qualification and by reputable training companies such as CND.

Last edited:
Hi,
Could I just point out a couple of facts without being considered sarcastic or snide.
The first staff member stated that "this is a completely unregulated industry" not a "largely unregulated industry" two completely different statements, in my opinion.
Coshh 13 guidelines state right at the top "Nail Bars" which, to me, means they ARE "written specifically for Nail Techs" and in the final box state clearly " Health and Safety inspectors seek to secure compliance with the law and may refer to this guidance as illustrating good practice." This, in my opinion,means the document is designed to help Nail Techs comply with the law and also protect their health. It is not a document designed to purely "give helpful advise to workers".
We contacted a whole range of training centres to ask "what does their course cover in respect to extraction and ventilation" not a single one said it was covered in the course and one very large centre said "we tell them to open a window".
Whilst it is correct to assume that my interest is partly commercial as we sell a Nail Dust Extractor, it is also correct that an awful lot of research has also been done on the subject. It never ceases to amaze me that whenever this subject is brought up on this forum it is basically ignored and advice is given that this subject has "recommendations not legislation". This is a very serious health and safety subject and over time if no precautions are taken, the inhalation of nail dust and fumes will damage a persons health.
At a recent trade show a potential customer said to me "who would want to breathe in another persons nail dust anyway", an interesting point!
Ray Vidler

Well I sure as hell would not support your company after your bad attitude Ambermist!
So glad you decided to reply so snidely and let everyone know your true colours.
And guess what cupcake! We not all that impressed.

Bye Felisha !

Ok Ray, I have not changed my wording at all but I have highlighted the relevant bits in my previous post that you feel our geek community are unable to understand, although I personally think that our Nail Geeks are a pretty competent bunch of professionals.

With regards to the legislation, anyone can set up as a Nail Tech in the U.K. and start charging without any training whatsoever. That's what my colleague meant by an unregulated profession. Compare this with training to be an electrician or a gas fitter. Both of these professions require a great degree of compliance with professional bodies before someone is allowed to charge clients for their services.

Also, have you considered how mobile Nail technicians are regulated or how they might comply with best practice?

Last edited:
Hi,
The original question in this post was "Can anyone help with the current upto date legislation with regards to working with nail dust from gels and acrylics.

Should we wear a mask?
Should we always have an extractor?"

My original point was that staff members, in my opinion, carry a certain amount of weight, given their position, and as such anyone asking that question should get a correct answer or no answer at all. The fact that the staff member was referring to "training" should have been pointed out, as it seemed to me to be answering the question.
The facts and dangers of inhaling nail dust and fumes should be pointed out and especially to mobile and home based Nail Technicians and obviously to those who have had no "training whatsoever". The fact that there are "guidelines" and "regulations" should be of high concern as it would be of little consequence to someone who has long term health problems from this, if they broke the law.
Nice to see the nice language used by nailpod amended, I don't mind a cupcake though.
Ray Vidler

Whatever dude I used asterisk and stars I didn't use actual words but if you prefer to carry on pls do.
Good luck with your business and thank you for replying to the original post.

If I ever need spray tanning extraction equipment (unlikely but still!) then please remind me to avoid Ambermist when looking at suppliers - I am agitated by the argumentative approach of the poster & I would worry about the customer service & attitude towards me of this company if I needed assistance [emoji15]

Latest posts

Back