Advice to new hair students starting courses in September

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcidPerm

Premium Geek
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread for geeks to offer advice and encouragement to new students who are at the 'very excited and can't wait to start their courses' stage of training. We've all been there, ;-)

My main bit of advice is to not spend too much on products, quality tools, scissors etc at this stage as:

1. They may get 'borrowed' by other students and damaged or lost. :-(

2. You will probably drop your scissors during training more than once, which is ok for basic pairs when you're just cutting a block head, but will totally ruin a decent pair. Also, you probably won't really know what scissors will suit you until you've tried a few pairs out. Coolblades.co.uk has a page explaining about different scissor types, blades etc that is really helpful.

3. If possible, try to attend one of the big hair shows like Salon International held in October in London. There are others too but this is the biggest UK one. Most colleges organise trips or you can organise your own.
A veritable sweetie shop of tools, equipment, goodies available, lots of freebies and good offers plus get to watch some free catwalk shows. It's really inspirational for newbies.

4. Buy a second block head that you don't ever cut, but use just to practise up-do's on.

Excellent thread my main advice would be ask ask ask and ask more questions ! Some colleges I feel ate lacking when training people now so buy extra books go eBay and get second hand and ask questions if your unsure of anything I notice students asking on here which is what the site is for but would be better asking the teacher as it can be explai ed better in person xx

Don't just rely on your basic text! Buy, borrow and read as many different books as you can! Try different product houses, watch any videos they have, take as many classes as you can. Label everything you can, make notes in your textbook because trust me you don't really want to re sell those books. Love your craft, and strive to be that amazing hairdresser you know you can be!

Also don't get upset when your foils bleed, or when you cut that graduated bob at the wrong angle. Take those experiences, learn from them and you will cry. Every single one of you will cry, there will be that one thing you totally suck at and that's ok. It might be five things you suck at (me!) but just keep pushing yourself, and if you love what you do - it will show.

everything that has been said above! also,if your college has an artistic team -where the students volunteer at events like charity fashion shows,ladies night etc-sign up for it and try to go to as many as you can,its a great way to get yourself out there and you can also pick up some great tips from more experienced students.
and don't get downhearted if things don't go to plan,there was many a time that my model heads were launched down the corridor in frustration lol,like everything else it takes practise practise practise x

I've just finished my level 2. Got my certificates in the post today :)

I would say just practise and practise. Don't ever be afraid to ask lots of questions. Do lots of research. I had loads of books from the library, spent hours on here looking at colouring threads. Signed myself up on a hairdressers website. I've gone into a salon a few Saturdays to watch and help and gain more knowledge.

Make sure you turn up for every class as you won't want to miss a thing. One girl on my course didn't turn up for half the lessons and wasn't able to be marked as she still had 10 assessments to do in the last week.

Stick with the kit you will have, don't buy anything else as above it will get pinched or you will break/lose it.

I probably went through about 60 clips and I went through 5 paddle brushes as I used to lose them. Don't know how. :/

Just enjoy the course, there is so much to learn and do but you will enjoy it. It's a hard slog but its worth it in the end :)

Love this thread. I have just enrolled on level 2 hairdressing and start on 12th September and I am supper excited.

I've had a look at the college kit list you have to get through the college and there are 1 pair of scissors but no thinning scissors, is this normal?

Such great advice!!!

I especially agree with asking questions. Ask especially if you think it's a stupid question and are shy to ask it. Don't risk not understanding something as so much that you learn in school in foundational and misunderstanding something could lead to problems in the future.

Also, watch other students. Some of them may have a lot of experience. I would have never learned how to blow dry well if it weren't for one of my fellow classmates.

Once you get the basics, start watching videos as much as possible. You Tube and Myhairdressers.com are excellent resources. (Just be discerning when watching You Tube :biggrin:) Also, many companies have excellent learning videos such as Vidal Sassoon, Paul Mitchell and Sam Villa. These work well in augmenting your classroom experience.

Love this thread, great advice! I am desperately looking for a hairdressing apprenticeship at the mo!x

Great thread with lots of great advice from everyone! My advice would be to ask as many questions as you can! I have always questioned everything I learn, and everytime I find out the answear to something it lead to another question on my mind! But as they say, you never stop learning!

Keep an open mind and study from a variety of different sources but when you are starting out, learning the basics inside out it the most important thing, it is your foundation. Don't fall into 'bad habits' they are harder to un-learn.

Try and find a mentor, it could be a teacher, salon stylist someone that you admire and learn as much from them as possible.

Practice, practice, practice. Theory is importmant, but means nothing without practicle experience. And you will make mistakes, but the sooner that you learn from them, the quicker that will stop making them. Of course we all still make mistakes but I mean you won't keep making the same ones.

Focus your energy, time and evan money into your education, you are investing in yourself. Maintain some level of focus, you cannot party every night and expect to be able to focus on your work/ studies.

Take control of your learning, because nobody will do it for you! Good luck to any aspiring hairdressers!! :D

Love this thread. I have just enrolled on level 2 hairdressing and start on 12th September and I am supper excited.

I've had a look at the college kit list you have to get through the college and there are 1 pair of scissors but no thinning scissors, is this normal?

I didn't get thinning scissors with mine, our college took us too salon international and I got a good pair of thinning scissors there at not a bad price not everyone on the course had them but when you did need them everyone would borrow which is just annoying!! If not try cool blades as I believe that's the stall I got mine from! Also make sure you label your stuff with like a nail polish dot or something so much of my stuff went missing from people borrowing etc!!

I didn't get thinning scissors with mine, our college took us too salon international and I got a good pair of thinning scissors there at not a bad price not everyone on the course had them but when you did need them everyone would borrow which is just annoying!! If not try cool blades as I believe that's the stall I got mine from! Also make sure you label your stuff with like a nail polish dot or something so much of my stuff went missing from people borrowing etc!!

That's a good idea about the blob of nail varnish as I have heard a lot of people saying their stuff would get borrowed. I was also thinking of getting a hairdressing tool belt so I don't leave my things lying around but don't want to look to pretentious on my first day! Lol

That's a good idea about the blob of nail varnish as I have heard a lot of people saying their stuff would get borrowed. I was also thinking of getting a hairdressing tool belt so I don't leave my things lying around but don't want to look to pretentious on my first day! Lol

Use a colour that most people won't have eg I used yellow where as most had like pinks or reds etc :) I had one of those , company called roo are good for them :)! Loads of different colours, patterns and designs !

Fab thread! Starting my new job in a salon in September, once I'm settled I'm starting my college course (Its private so I can start at anytime of the year!) I'm 27 so I'm a late starter, but can honestly say I know this is what I want to do. Thank you all so much for this thread, will be keeping my eye on it :) x

Fab thread! Starting my new job in a salon in September, once I'm settled I'm starting my college course (Its private so I can start at anytime of the year!) I'm 27 so I'm a late starter, but can honestly say I know this is what I want to do. Thank you all so much for this thread, will be keeping my eye on it :) x

I'm 25 and starting my level 2 in September, I couldn't do an apprenticeship for a number of reasons but am looking for a 1 day a week voluntary placement.

Are you doing an apprenticeship?

Xx

Here are some tips from me...

Buy tons of hairdressing books. You can never have too many. Don't just buy the Level 2 and 3 books, buy books that are only about hair colouring, only about hair ups, only about the science of hair colour etc. You will keep hold of them for the rest of your career. Try to buy at least one book every month. Subscribe to the hairdressers journal and read it. When you've cut your first bob on your mannequin, take a photo and then take the mannequin head off your block and hang it upside down...brush it through and you'll see a second haircut called "square layers" automatically appear...take a photo...2 haircuts in one! Once you've learned how to apply regrowth colour offer every family member who colours their own hair a free application and blowdry so that you can perfect your technique. Later on, when you've learned about the theory of professional hair colour selection these people will end up being your clients for these services if you win their trust earlier on. Take photos of everything you do, and then look back over them every 3 months to see your progress. Read your books and learn about hair colour theory before the actual classes begin...it will help you to be able to ask the right questions. Buy DVDs from eBay where they are cheaper and watch them at the weekends. Don't just do what you love, do what you hate! E.g. If you put hair up a lot at home for your friends, ask you college tutor if you can do perm winding in class so that you can get help with the things you find harder.

My last tip is this...when asking for help on the Internet you will get loads of offers if you tell people what help you need and what you think the answer might be (even if you're unsure if its correct). If you don't know the entire answer, tell people the parts you do know, so that way they can help you with the parts you are struggling with.

Good luck!
:)

I'm 25 and starting my level 2 in September, I couldn't do an apprenticeship for a number of reasons but am looking for a 1 day a week voluntary placement.

Are you doing an apprenticeship?

Xx

Nope I'm having to do it all privately, so I am paying for my course. I've been really lucky to find a salon willing to take me one full time, and pay me! I am a qualified makeup artist and I'm also doing beauty, so I think this was an advantage getting a job as I have some skills they can use in the salon (wedding makeups and Gelicure nails) I did find it soo hard to find somewhere though as they can get school leavers for free! I know I have been given such an amazing opportunity and I'm going to give it my all!

I had literally starting emailing salons offering to do a day voluntary for work experience when I got invited for an interview so I think your doing the right thing! Its so hard when your older. Good luck finding a placement, and keep me updated with your journey! xx

If I went back to college I would learn from these mistakes so hope this is helpful: 1. Was so shy/ nervous I would back out of doing clients and rather do my dolls head! Lost confidence because of this and didn't gain as much experience/confidence as I should of. 2. I went on to level 3 with no job in a hairdressing salon. Big mistake! Make sure you try so hard to get a job as going on to level 3 with no outside experience is a waste of time 3. Don't let your friends dye your hair in college! I would ban yourself completely getting your hair done at college unless its the tutor as have to remember your all training and I had my hair messed up big time! And then ones that aren't really mistakes I've made but I think it's good to 4. Create a portfolio of before and after photos as you may need these for assignments! 5. Expect lots of test/ don't get scared of the thought of them as there actually there to help! 6. The books they suggest you to buy you may find in later use are old fashioned/ buy other hairdressing books especially colour ones are very helpful.

Love this I'm a very late starter and I promised my self I wold be qualified by my 50th and I am just finished level 2 and going back to take level 3 in September my advise would be get a couple extra block heads a nd practice every basic thing until it becomes second nature that's what I did this last year and I finished with a full house of distinctions I was and still am very proud of myself and loving my career change

Hi I am 30, completed level 2, and VERY much looking forward to level 3. or level 2s, I would say, make sure you buy the complete kit, go in on time every day, and if your serious about being a hairdresser, steer clear of the 16 year olds, who are only there because they didn't want to go to school!!! {grrrrrrr} show up to class, listen, and try! Do your family/friends hair, try everything, and enjoy it!

For level 3, I was wondering, can anyone recommend particular books, websites, and youtube vids to watch {esp cutting} id love to stock up on books etc, the text book was NOT great!

Thanks

Latest posts

Back