Advice with acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dboo0510

Reaction score
I need some help.. My acrylics suck.. They take forever and honestly i am not happy with the outcome.. My pink and whites look kinda bad and it takes me 2- 2 1/2 hours for a full set.. Plus.. They tend to lift.. I do alot of prep.. Dehydrate twice.. Prime twice and yet they still lift..

On my pink and whites i am struggling with the white and when i am done the white looks uneven.. I cant ever get the white on with 1 ball. It ussually takes anywhere from 4-6 balls to get the white on perfect. What am i doing wrong?

Any advice to help with acrylics would be helpful. Right now i try to avoid doing them and stress when i do have to do them. I know i need lots of practice but hoping for some advice

Acrylics take a lot of practice.

I qualified in 2008, always did my own nails, to keep up the practice.

I've opened my own home salon although I don't have many acrylic clients I always do my own.
I still feel I'm not good enough!
I take 2 hours just for prepping and applying & Fileing, then the gel polish or normal polish.

Practice on a hand trainer, practice from you tube. Find the product that works for you. I trained at college with NSI, did Design acrylics, then converted to CND, the product speaks for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi, there lots of helpful tutorials at the top of the page (articles) and here's one that might help you with your whites and smiles

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/9025-product-control-part-2-zone-1-making-smile.html

L&p takes time to master so don't worry and we all took ages once, you will get faster.

Maybe list all your procedure so we can help :). If nails lift it's normally to do with prep or your l&p isn't on the nail, maybe your not pressing your bead firmly enought and just gently moving it.

I started with opi at school then switched to cnd. I tried to make my own nail trainer from a wooden hand but cant get the nails to stay on.. I may have to get a trainer but its alot of money:. Do the nails stay on with filing and all?

For the steps i..
-cleanse the nail plate
-remove shine
-cleanse nail plate
-Dehydrate
-fit nail tips
- dehydrate
-apply nail tips
- apply primer twice
- apply acrylic

I used to blend the nail tip but i was told that it was unneccesary and took extra time.. Maybe that makes a difference?

Thanks for the article. I will check it out.

You haven't mentioned any cuticle removal?
I find when my nails lift I've either done the too thick around the cuticle or the acrylics I contact with the cuticle or side wall

Sorry yes in the beginning i use cnd cuticle remover and remove cuticles.. I am not doing them that thick so i dunno..

You don't mention any training or qualifications?

If you're trying to battle on with acrylics without someone actually showing you the correct techniques you could be fighting a losing battle.

Practice is only effectice when you're doing the right thing to start with.

If you did have training then it doesn't sound as if they covered nearly enough with you, which is a shame... maybe you should get in touch with your training provider to clarify any points you feel you may have missed?

:biggrin:

Hi I wanted to reply as I feel you're pain lol. Mine take ages and im not always happy with the end result. I've definitely sped up but only slightly. I only have two acrylic ladies so I don't feel I'm doing them enough to be really fast and skilled in them. One thing I'm going to try out is Popits, might be something worth looking into for yourself. And also I ditched doing pink and whites with acrylic powder and now just paint the white bit on with gel polish....as I was losing the will to live when it came to infills!
If you don't already have one then invest in a curette, this may help reduce the lifting your getting. I know full well that the lifting I get is from going too close to the skin and not my prep...again its something I'm working on!
Someone on here once said go back to the beginning and re read/watch the steps for application. This was really helpful advice as I realised I wasn't getting the client to throughly wash there hands after I'd done all the prep and filing, just before acrylic application.
I hope I've been helpful and not just waffled lol x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I need some help.. My acrylics suck.. They take forever and honestly i am not happy with the outcome.. My pink and whites look kinda bad and it takes me 2- 2 1/2 hours for a full set.. Plus.. They tend to lift.. I do alot of prep.. Dehydrate twice.. Prime twice and yet they still lift..

On my pink and whites i am struggling with the white and when i am done the white looks uneven.. I cant ever get the white on with 1 ball. It ussually takes anywhere from 4-6 balls to get the white on perfect. What am i doing wrong?

Any advice to help with acrylics would be helpful. Right now i try to avoid doing them and stress when i do have to do them. I know i need lots of practice but hoping for some advice

I hear you!!! I have been there! Yes, you must practice, which is the ONLY way you are really going to improve. Just like doing anything new, you have to get your muscles and your mind to work together and the only way to do that is to practice. BUT, I also believe in watching other people do their sets. We are very visual learners, all of us, and it helps to see different people doing what you're trying to do, and watch it be done, over and over and over. You're learning by watching. Try to watch those who are good at what they are doing so you are learning good habits and learning tricks that you don't know yet. Videos on YouTube are great for this. Tammy Taylor has a lot of videos, Young Nails, etc. Watch what they do, then practice doing some sets, then watch more videos, practice some more, etc. With each set you do you'll get better and better and it will become easier and your sets will look better.

Mainly I work on product consistency...your acrylic pearls need to be good every time you place them on the nail, reject any bad ones. Only try and work with good pearls.

I liked the nail sheets (practice making pink and white acrylic nails on laminated paper with outlines of nails on it) we had in school. They force you to work on your product consistency. Tammy Taylor has a good video for that, you can find it on YouTube ♡ Tammy Taylor: Increase Your Speed 30 Minutes with Product Consistency! - YouTube.

Make sure you have gone through your steps and improve on your efficiency. Again, Tammy Taylor is great for this, she has a system that helps with timing and makes you more efficient 1 - Tammy Taylor Nails - Tammy Taylor Nail Party Episodes 14.

Stay positive. Instead of looking at how you're failing, look at how you're improving. If you don't feel like you're improving, watch more videos and really analyze what you may be doing that's not working. Stop putting yourself down and look at what you're doing objectively. You're learning all the time, give yourself a break. You'll enjoy the process better and it will be easier to learn if you keep your chin up and stay positive. :Love: HTH

Latest posts

Back