Afro Relaxers.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBH Salon

Reaction score
Hi geeks! Ok so this isn’t really a question but rather just a topic. A lot of hairdresser’s don’t know about afro relaxers, or if they do they don’t know the science behind it, but advertise themselves as fully qualified in that field and it really annoys me so much! I have been trained for the afro side of hair, i took lots of courses and worked for free in afro salons just to gain this experience then a client comes to me with a burnt scalp and snapped ends because a stylist apparently knew what she was doing.....now I’m not a genius but the sodium thioglycolate and the sodium hydroxide chemicals etc. are the most harsh out there, there the same chemicals found in toilet bleach, oven cleaner, veet hair removal etc. so why would this person choose to play about with something she has no knowledge about? I find that in college's they don’t teach this anymore, and a lot of the new hairdressers out there don’t have any education within this field, I’m just wondering how the rest of you geeks felt about this?

I was educated in both types of relaxers. It was made very clear to base if needed, to strand test if you don't know what the previous relaxer was, ect. The most important thing I was taught was to work fast, or else they will get chemical burns, and their hair will break off.

For me i have some knowledge on afro relaxers this but nowhere near extensive as what i have been taught. I had a client recently who scared the beejesus outa me! She tampered with her hair, made me seriously doubt myself, which in effect allowed me to to research on relaxers.

I went back to l'oreal for a refresher on the particular relaxer, to find out in other countries that the strength is actually higher in the uk and europe compared to america. I guess the market FDA approval is important in america, and compared to the uk equivant there is currently no change on certain harsh chemicals, ie the fumey formaldehyde, p-Phenylenediamine (PPD) etc

It is amazing to think that these products affect quite a few people maybe throught overexposure, and some of these chemicals are not widely available. I think it calls for the hairdressing industry to be regulated, Which i dont think it will! xoxo

Latest posts

Back