age-old question: gels vs. acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callie

Reaction score
I called a tech frine of mine and she seemed horrified that I was doing acrylics. Said they were damaging and inflexible and bulky and unecessary, etc.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of both gels and acrylics?

The first thing to tell your friend is that gels are acrylic ... the preparation to apply gels is exactly the same as any other acrylic system including wraps.

Liquid and Powder nail enhancements (what your friend is referring to incorrectly as acrylic)neither need to be thin nor bulky (this is up to the expertise of the nail technician) and there is no nail system that is more or less damaging than another, as the damage to natural nails is almost always caused by improper removal such as clipping, picking, drilling, pulling or otherwise forcing the product off the nails.

Other causes of nail plate damage are poor preparation using drills on the natural nail, incompetent blending of tips etc.

Once again it needs to be stated that there is no one nail system that is safer or gentler to the nail plate than another. The skill of the technician is what determines the safety of any product. Harsh treatment during preparation, excessive use of rough abrasives or nippers and incorrect removal procedures are the 3 key areas where damage will be caused by a technician who is uncaring and unskilled.

Your friend is correct that gels are in general slightly more flexible that Liquid & Powder enhancements. Millions of women like this attribute of gel nail but as many prefer the more rigid structure of L/P. It's all about choice. I use all three systems in the salon.

BTW, how about filling in your profile so we know where you come from and a bit about you, your experience and what you use?? :)

Latest posts

Back