Age problem-Staff!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, yes I have met the girl I have worked alongside her for 6 months before the owner decided to sell up. She offered it to the 21 year old first as she had worked there longer and she turned it down. Then asked me and I accepted. I am not your typical 19 year old I never go out "partying" (as boring as that sounds) I've had my party days and for the past year being self employed and running my own business is very much more exciting than any other party. It saddens me that this is how a lot of older people feel. I am sure everyone doesn't feel the same and will be able to appreciate the fact I have worked hard to get where I am today. Xx

At 18 I was running communications company, at 19 was a manager in a debt recovery unit, at 25 I ran a recruitment agency at 27 I was in charge of a 7 million £ budget with 28 staff and now for the last 18 months I've had my own salon. Age is nothing, don't try to be someone your not, listen & learn to people more experienced. Go & do a management course so you know your basic laws etc & good luck x

I hear what everybody is saying but to me (I am now 40) if somebody is good at their job then age shouldn't matter.

When I first started in this industry I worked at a spa and my first manager was 10 years younger than me and then my second was 16 years younger. I can honestly say that I never had a problem with it. Funnily enough I left the spa and then went back but in the time I left I went to work for a salon - the manager/owner was seven years older than me and she was a complete and utter moo - one horrible individual who belittled everyone, even her customers to other customers (she was 45 at the time so really should know better!).

Sometimes it is almost as though people have a set list of things they will and 'do' and 'don't do' in life and working for somebody younger is probably on her 'don't do' list!

At the end of the day she was offered first and said no , I don't blame you for saying yes I'm nearly 26 and would work for a 19 yr old , it depends on the person and how they are rather than age , best of luck x

I had the exact same problem. I brought my first salon at the age of 18. There was 3 staff working there. 1 aged 39 1 aged 30 and 1 aged 20. You can guess who I had a problem with... The 20 year old! She had no respect for me. She was jealous and she caused no end of problems just because she thought she could walk all over me as I was a slight bit younger than her. I caught her stealing and so I finally had a big enough reason to let her go. I have now learnt not to employ someone of the same age or a slight bit older because they think of you as competition, where as someone who is 10 years older are more grown up and considerate x

Nowadays everyone is obsessed with age! I have another situation to compare it to, one of my closest and oldest friends got married at 20 (she already had 2 kids with her husband) she is still married ten years in has 2 more kids and is an amazing wife and mother and has been through a lot of hard times but you know what she is not "old before her time" ether. She's still likes clothes and music she's beautiful, blonde bombshell and you know what people may think that's too young but she's so happy in her marriage. If she goes out with her kids and her hubby isn't there people give her negative looks, as she's still so young looking and pretty they make the obvious assumptions. Dont let society's "age obsession" get in your way x

i would be glad to have dodged a bullet with her. Frankly she was upfront, yes it would definatly would have touched a nerve and hurt my feelings a little bit on my own ability.

However look at this way; she didnt attempt to change. No comprimise, how is she adaptable? Does she even know what your managment style is like?! She'll never know.

Ive worked for younger/ older, now that im the boss- sometimes people are wary but its all about reassuring your workers too that your capable and right for the job. Forget about her, good riddence for narrow minded thinking. Good luck! xoxo

I would just like to wish you the very best if luck. Go girl!

Age is just a number. Maturity comes with personality. Ive worked with people older and more senior than me and found them to be less mature in their approach both as managers and regarding the job in general.

Its not age, it comes down to what someone is like as a person :)

I've been a manager at 18 with most of the staff older than me. One was 61, another 48 and the rest in their 20's. age makes no difference, and if I say so myself, i was one of the best managers that store ever seen.

Sometimes fresh young blood is needed to up business and bring in a new generation. Your more likely to have unique ideas that you will go with where as some older owners would recoil that its not been done before.

Best of luck! If she doesn't appreciate you are still going to be paying her, and doesn't want the job she knows where the door is. Xoxo

..... it seems to me from an outside point of view from what you have said - she may be jealous of the fact you have taken the opportunity to own your own salon !!! ... I dont think It's any thing to do with your age.
Good luck with your new salon and if she decides to move on it is probably for the best.

Age doesnt matter! As long as you know exactly what you are doing.

I am 20yrs and I own 2 salons hair/beauty. I have 9 stylists/ therapists aged between 23-45 and they are all very respectful and hardworking.

Latest posts

Back