Age problem-Staff!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachelBeautique

Reaction score
I have recently bought over a business (hand over is start of may). I planned to keep the staff and their contracts the same, but now one of the girls is refusing to work for me as I am only 19 (she is 21) and she explained to the current owner that it is because I am younger. Has this been a problem with anyone else? Do you think this is likely to be a reoccurring problem with staff? Thanks xx

She doesn't sound like someone you wouldnt want to employ anyway if she has that attitude. There's only 2 years difference!!

That's what I thought! I do understand I am young, but my age is irrelevant in this industry. Just got worried incase more people felt this way too. x

Don't even think about age, as long as you treat all the therapists the same regardless of their age I'm sure it will be fine. Some people have a real chip on their shoulder about age, I've had it loads in and out of beauty but just stay professional :)

I would say its quite possible you will struggle to get older therapists to want to work for you.

I am 28 and the idea of working for a 19 year old makes me want to bang my head off a wall. Like myself, they wont know anything about you and so have to go on their own perceptions. Which for me is at 19 people wont have as much life experience and will tend to be a little more nieve in their business methods. That would 100% do my head in.

That said, I hope you prove our perceptions wrong and get out there and do well for yourself :)

Last edited:
Age shouldn't come into it. It's more about professionalism and skills, that is why you will be her boss at 19 ;0)

It is not professional to doubt someones skills based on their age.

If anyone steps into your business for a position and decides against it because you are younger than them....then let them go and don't worry about it, you probably didn't need them in your team anyway.

Good luck with your business, I wish you all the best:D

I would just like to say, good on you. I wish I had the same opportunity at your age . Good luck :)

Thank you for your replies, I have been self employed for the past year working from a beauty room within a large salon. This opportunity is a massive one & I understand people will be uneasy with me being 19 and the massive responsibility. It is a shame people judge on age, I do agree that if someone doesn't want to work for me because I am younger then they are very immature and didnt deserve to be part of my team anyway. Thanks! I will let you know how my new staff search goes! Xx

I wouldn't work for a 19 year old, but I don't think that makes me immature.

I'm 33 and ambitious. So if I found myself working for a 19 year old I'd feel very low and down about myself. I'd beat myself up for being a failure. I'd constantly put myself down inside myself that a 19 year old is more successful than me.

I hope this highlights how it might make someone feel. It's not about you, it's about them.

I'm glad you've decided to keep the staff contacts the same. You would actually be breaking the law if you just changed them? Your employees are protected under TUPE law. Please see this link if you need more information Transfer of undertakings (TUPE) - Acas Mobile

Age shouldn't matter, nor should race, sex, disability... But the world is not so black and white, and unfortunately these things do play factors...

That aside, good luck :D This is a great opportunity and you'll learn loads along the way

I started my salon when I was 21 I'm 30 now and still at it with 6 staff and a very successful salon. Good luck! X

I wouldn't want to work for a 19 year old, but I don't want to work for anyone lol

I had my first child at 19 (2 days after my 19th birthday), married at 19, had my 2nd child at 21, bought my house at 21, had my 3rd child at 24 and opened my beauty salon at 25.

I've had people judge my on my age my whole life and it sucks. I have only recently come to terms with the lifetime of feeling judged my choice and my age.

Good luck to you, if you are determined and have respect for you staff you will do just fine. If people have a problem with your age then so be it, deal with it professionally a dove on.

Xx

I opened my salon at the age of 18, 2 of my staff are older than me and have had staff in the past that are older than me, it's never been an issue. I will have had my business 10 years this year and won a business woman of the year award last year so don't think my age hindered me in any way.
Good luck in your new venture x

If anyone has an issue with being employed by someone younger than themselves then I think they have issues themselves! If the girl doesn't like it, too bad quite frankly. If she thinks she's better than you, before even working for you, then what a lovely person she must be. I'm sure deep down she's probably just envious of you and wishes she were in your shoes anyway. You just carry on and prove how professional you are and what a good job you can do. Don't let it knock you! Good on you girl and good luck xx

Also if the girls refusing to work for you (how immature anyway!) that's her choice. Let her walk! Don't batt an eye lid.

I've also had people judge me all my life. It's your life and your decision so if someone regardless of their age is expressing they don't want to work for you then smile, wish them luck and let them go.
I wish you every success in your venture...... Good luck :biggrin:

My first hairdressing job was in a salon for a lady who was 25, she was a master colourist and been self employed before she had her salon. I no longer work there but she was a good boss and was also a nice person and now has a chain of salons (she would be about 33 now) I am 31 now and would work for a younger woman. Why not, I was watching gypsy program tonight one boy was 15 and although he had a very successful dad the boy was working like a dog and making loads of money, he had to hire a driver to take him to jobs coz he was too young to drive! I think of you get a level headed sensible person with a good team behind her (knowledgable parents, business advisor for example) there is no problem! Go for it I say! Xxxx

I know it might not help but I think its genuine envy she has that someone at your age could takeover a business ! She will be jealous of the opportunity you have and not see past that, she will constantly judge you on your age and brand you with less experience etc but why should your age matter? If she wants to walk then that's her loss quite frankly, you've done no wrong and should feel proud of what you're achieving and not what a small percentage of people are thinking of you. Most would be jealous and in awe of such success at a young age.

I say congrats and good luck xx

It wouldn't bother me working for a 19 year old and I'm in my late forties. They might have a problem working with me though.:lol:
Age shouldn't come into it. Good luck in your new business. I'm sure you'll be great at it. Who knows this time in a couple of years you might be picking up that Business woman of the year award, after me of course. hehe:biggrin:

Has the person met you?

If I was told a salon I was working in was being taken over by a 19yr old, my initial reaction would be, 'now is the time to set up on MY own' (not relevant as I already do work for myself!) But it's not a nice feeling to think that you've worked hard for x amount of years and now someone with just a fraction of your experience is going to reap the rewards of your hard work. But it's not a reflection on you, it's a wake up call for others.

My first boss when I was 18 was in her late 20's and looking back she was too immature and I wish I had had a more level headed boss and someone that was approachable and would handle your problems and you wouldn't be scared wondering what mood she would be in that day!! She would go out drinking with the girls (I have never been that type of person) and she would be so hungover I don't know how she managed to cut hair straight! Then every time she had a gap, she'd be off for a fag break!

Another job I had- worked for woman in late 40s who had trained late in life and didn't have much industry experience, so hard to respect her, because I was 100 x better therapist than her and all my clients told me so! She was actually what led me to think I should be working for myself!

Age isn't really relevant. BUT, I teach students and there are some young therapists pumped out of college who give youths a really bad name. However, there are also some amazing students who win student of the year awards, come up with flawless business plans, and really excel and prove that they are hard working and work harder than 'some' who have been in the industry years.

You will have to work hard to prove yourself, but looks like you are doing a fab job already. All the very best to you xx

Good luck with your new venture lovey and well done for stepping your career up a gear.

If it's just down to age then how ridiculous this girl is. There are plenty of other top quality professional people banging down salon doors for a job that still can't get one so she should thank her lucky stars she's in a job. This attitude makes me mad.

On the other hand, and im not saying this is you at all, but some people are genuinely worried when a take over happens, this isn't to do with age, more to do with experience in as much as how well they know their job and their ability to run a business. As it's quite natural to worry that the business won't continue to be a success and they may lose their jobs.

The important thing to remember is respect and that goes both ways. Years of experience doesn't always equal a marvellous professional. People with varying degrees of experience can actually learn from each other, it's not just a one way street as some people think.

I would advise getting to know the girls, learn how they go through a day and work together on improvements.

Bottom line lovey its your business, be confident, listen and don't let this girls negativity bring you down. Assert yourself and remain professional at all times. Often people that share this girls attitude are doubting themselves not you.

Good luck honey wish you all the very best :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back