Aggressive boss

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeris

Reaction score
Delete if this isn't the right place.

My boss keeps being verbally aggressive. Yesterday he cornered me while we were alone in the salon and kept calling me nasty things because I left the dishes to air dry. I ended up hyperventilating. My arms got pins and needles and I collapse in the corner [not feinted just couldn't stand]. what he was saying was a blur but he was still screaming at me. I do remember him telling me to clean myself up and make sure none of the other staff of clients see me like this or else he would fire me on the spot. I was made to sit out in the bathroom for about 40 mins while I tried to calm down. I was really shaken up and it effected my day.

Are all apprenticeships like this? I'm considering throwing in the towel. I just can't handle being treated like this.

When I was an apprentice, my boss made me cry once, but she never, ever got in my face or intimidated me.

NO apprenticeship should make you feel like you are in danger, I would leave if I was you, I left mine and she only yelled at me!

X

I'd get out of there asap, nobody should ever be treated like that in the work place(or elsewhere for that matter). Just because you're an apprentice doesn't mean your boss can treat you badly. I really hope you leave that place and please don't give up on your career just because of a bully!xxx

Leave at once! That's really bad, no one should ever treat you like that, I've seen it mind but never had it done to me personally, the young girls used to get into altercations with the boss a lot when I trained, it's not good enough, the boss would never do it to me so I think they do it to "weak" (non insulting mind!) people, I'd have punched the bastard in the face and they dam well knew it so I never got treated like it, just leave it could escalate to full on bullying, speak to your training provider 1'st thing Monday morning and under no circumstance allow them to talk the boss into aplolgising etc (coz they will & you'll be a bad guy) do not make light of the situation and make sure the training providers know how serious it is. I let my old junior go as she started level 2, she went to a new salon locally and they treated her like dirt, it never stopped and in the end I got involved because they kept sending her back there, they made it all out to be her fault, the said employer is now being sued :)

17 years ago I worked as an apprentice and had the most horrible bosses you could imagine, they were really nasty people, occasionally I still see them now and my stomach still turns over if I've seen them

Best thing I ever did was get out of there but I didn't get to follow my hairdressing career, I held in there for months till I knew I just couldn't take anymore they were making me bad so I left

I've always regretted not qualifying but just could not stay there for another second, horrible horrible people

If you can find another apprenticeship do it and leave as soon as you can, even though you are training you still deserve to be treated like a person, I'm getting angry just thinking about this because I know exactly how you feel x

I think you should speak to who ever put you in the placement , and I would record his verbal abuse ,

No thats downright purely abusive! Get the &$#! outta there and get a new apprenticeship elsewhere! Sorry to tell you but in 20 years in the industry, I can honestly tell you that most salon owners are douch bags that don't deserve the right to own a salon and suredly have no business administering over others as employees as our industry seems to attract a lot of bad ego personas. Some worse than others and most don't know the first thing about running a successful business or they wouldn't put out that kind of bad ego energy!

I believe that anyone being a landlord and/or running a business pretty much anywhere where they administrate over others means that they should have to be government certified and licensed to do so. If this was so, so many peoples lives would be so much better!
Goodluck!

jees!! thats really bad!! sounds like a total tosser!! get the fack out of there asap! dont waste another minute in there and get straight on to your training provider. as said above, dont let them send you back there and make it clear you will not work under conditions like that (they are bound to already be aware of what a C U Next Tues he is). if it were me he would have ended up with a fat lip for his efforts. find somewhere else, not all salons are like that thankfully, dont give up because of 1 bad egg. if you do that then he has won. good luck xx

I'm really sorry you have had to suffer this even though you are an apprentice you still have employment rights and you should feel protected in the workplace not exploited in this way ....

This is bullying it's not your fault and you shouldn't suffer in silence its discrimination and shouldn't be tolerated....

Bullying can often be difficult to prove as it is usually a verbal situation but in case you decide to take further action, it is a good idea to keep a diary of events write down all the dates and times, and exactly what happened and what was said. This will help you remember all the incidents and also can be used to explain the severity of the situation....

Contact your training provider or ring Acas or citizens advice bureau for some advice darling

No one has the right to make you feel unhappy or scared while you are on your apprenticeship and this discrimination should be taken seriously ... Good luck and remember just because you are an apprentice does not give anyone the right to treat you in this manner we all started as apprentices or had to do training of some sort to get where we are now so he has no right to belittle you x

I had a similar situation many moons ago ( been at the trade 29yrs) . Please don't let this vile person shatter your dreams of becoming a hairdresser, you need to get out of there and pronto!
I told my boss at the time to do one, I've never looked back, it actually made me grow in confidence.
I think you know the answer to your question, you just need the courage to go. ;-) HTH xx

Delete if this isn't the right place.

My boss keeps being verbally aggressive. Yesterday he cornered me while we were alone in the salon and kept calling me nasty things because I left the dishes to air dry. I ended up hyperventilating. My arms got pins and needles and I collapse in the corner [not feinted just couldn't stand]. what he was saying was a blur but he was still screaming at me. I do remember him telling me to clean myself up and make sure none of the other staff of clients see me like this or else he would fire me on the spot. I was made to sit out in the bathroom for about 40 mins while I tried to calm down. I was really shaken up and it effected my day.

Are all apprenticeships like this? I'm considering throwing in the towel. I just can't handle being treated like this.

I see that you're from Australia, unfortunately in Australia employers in this industry are extremely tough on the apprentices because they believe it makes them a better hairdresser. I don't know how it is elsewhere but I couldn't handle being an apprentice for longer than 7 months. It is possible to find a good salon with a good boss.

I see that you're from Australia, unfortunately in Australia employers in this industry are extremely tough on the apprentices because they believe it makes them a better hairdresser. I don't know how it is elsewhere but I couldn't handle being an apprentice for longer than 7 months. It is possible to find a good salon with a good boss.

thats no excuse to treat an employee like dirt. completely unacceptable. i can totally understand having high standards and pushing your assistants to always be the best etc, but what the op is talking about is abusive and intimidating behaviour.

@Aeris did you contact anyone today?

honsetly I didn't contact fairworks. I heard they can make you stay in the workplace while they try and fix things. that can take a while and I just want to get out of there.

yesterday my boss and I had a disagrement. I asked about an appointment that looked wrong in the book and he started tearing into me claiming that he's heard me bitching about him from the other stylists and that the only reason I have my job is because he likes me. he even said he doesn't want me talking to the clients at all and that they stylists are the stars of the show. I could hardly get a word in and when I could i was saying 'can we not do this on the phone?' I ussually defend him against every saying things like 'he's justgoing through a rough time,' but he's claiming that I am doing all this stuff to ruin the business and ruin how stylists see him.

so I'm handing in my resignation. i'm going to try and leave nicely because that way I could at least get a reference.

I feel like he is just trying to argue with someone now and hes latching on to anything when it doesn't make sense.

Hmm... So will u just leave?

Reactions: KHS
Hmm there was another Geek on here from the same place, same problems with a male boss, same incidents, have you returned Linkles? Lol or is this just a huge coincidence?

Aw poor show Linkles, I guessed it was you when you went against the advice given & returned with a story... Maybe you should give up on hairdressing and turn to writing?

I was thinking we'd not heard from Linkles in ages!

She was moving house last off, probably got a nice new IP address now so she can create another 30 accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back