AHHH how do you get MMA off,please help desperate....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

empy22

Reaction score
Hi, I am sitting here desperatly trying to soak off some extensions I have on that I am sure contain MMA.

I am a nail tech (just qualified) and a beauty therapist, I had heard from some friend about a nail bar opened in my town that sounded dodgy(£25.00 a set,masks,drills,done in half an hour,you get the idea) any way, my being curious decided to have set done on last monday,most definitly MMA, they had gone yellow and now smell foul, anyway deperatly trying to get them off as potential clients are asking if I did them myself !

would like any help possible please.....

You poor thing - nasty nails are bad enough let alone your clients think you did them! In my (limited) experience, MMA nails are very reluctant to be soaked off. I had a set done before I knew anything about the nail industry and the "tech" ripped mine off with cuticle nippers which took about 6-8 months for my pinkies to recover.

The only thing I can suggest is soak, file gently, soak, file gently etc. Just be patient and you'll get there in the end. I've heard you can speed things up by wrapping pure acetone soaked lint pads round your nails and putting tin foil around that as the heat is meant to speed things up..but that could be just another myth!

Good luck!
tj

If it's MMA it will take ages to get off - find your lowest grit abrasive and buff down as much as you can

The tin foil and remover method works really well, add a heat source such as warm mitts, or a wheatee bag, hot towel, hot water bottle, etc. will help signifiantly. (DO NOT heat the remover in a microwave!!!)

You're probably looking at a couple of hours to soak them off, but better two hours of telly and tin foil than 6 months of damaged nails from ripping/biting/picking them off.

It will smell like cat's pee when you file and soak them, so be prepared! Lots of solar oil on your cuticles and surrounding skin before you start and a nice dollop of handcream afterwards to replenish lost moisture and oils.

Good Luck

Trin
xx

There are at least 2 NSS's in my area so I've spent quite some time soaking off new clients nails before I apply my own. They do stink and are really gloopy when they start to melt but I've found that taking off the length followed by a good soak and file does shift them. It helps alot if the tip remover is warmed by a bowl of water underneath or a similar purpose built soak off bowl that means the remover is indirectly warmed. I put marbles in the bowl for clients to play with as moving the fingers around helps too. Takes quite a long time so put some oil in the remover to save over drying. My last removal like this took over an hour! Dont panic though, they will be OK in the end.

Trinity Nails said:
The tin foil and remover method works really well, add a heat source such as warm mitts, or a wheatee bag, hot towel, hot water bottle, etc. will help signifiantly. (DO NOT heat the remover in a microwave!!!)

Cool - I learnt something too - I wasn't sure if the tin foil method was a myth, so thanks for that!
tj

You're very welcome TJ - and don't keep unwrapping them to peek either - it'll take forever :lol:

Trin
xx

Thanks, all just finnished soakng the mfor about an hour, the smell is awful, now on to the filling,do you think I should put an overlay on? as my nails feel very weak, I dread to think of the damage they have done to my nail plate, withe drill etc.Empy

sorry about the typo's...really tired, would prefer to be in bed, a very long week with halfterm etc

Empy

I'm sorry to tell you this but your going to have a hard time trying to soak them off! MMA is notoriously hard to remove with acetone, All can suggest is take a good few hours and alternate soaking and filing. If this doesn't work I would go back to the origanal salon and say youv'e come in for a removal maybe thay can do it.Youv'e got every right to go back and complain about your nails. If I were you i'd mention that you were a nail tech and see what their reaction was you don't have to tell them youv'e only just qualified. Hope this helps! Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Karen.

Hi empy,

Where are you in Suffolk, totally off topic, but theres not many techs on here from our neck of the woods.

Ps if ya need any help in getting them off Im in Ipswich hun, be glad to help you out

Latest posts

Back