Airbrush makeup

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa nails & beauty

Reaction score
Hi, I trained in dinair airbrush makeup about a year but never really did anything with it.. But I would would like to try and use it as its a qualification I have and would like to put to use. Does anyone else do airbrush makeup? Could I please have your thoughts & advice on it please?

I trained with airbase and myself and about 50% off the people on the class weren't impressed with the finish. Nevertheless I bought a machine and mistair foundations and I belive that airbrush foundation isn't for everyone! I've done it on 1/2 people and they weren't impressed either

When I've practiced on myself I didn't think it was that great but I just put it down to me doing something wrong. Maybe I'll just practice on a couple of friends and see what their opinion is before trying to start it up. Thank you for commenting.

I trained in it recently and I'm really glad that I did :) I did it as a vtct level 3 and I wasn't tied to using a particular brand so I got to try out lots of different products and am very impressed with it. Not tried airbase. I can't remember the product names but can find out and get back to yous :)

I trained in it recently and I'm really glad that I did :) I did it as a vtct level 3 and I wasn't tied to using a particular brand so I got to try out lots of different products and am very impressed with it. Not tried airbase. I can't remember the product names but can find out and get back to yous :)
That would be great if you could.. Thank you x

That would be great if you could.. Thank you x

Will next get to look in a couple of weeks. Before I do, one of the key things I picked up is that airbrush makeup can either be water or silicone based and this can be quite a factor in how they work and the skin types they suit. It's well worth reading up on. I'm not sure which of the two airbase or dinair is, I haven't tried them.

Will next get to look in a couple of weeks. Before I do, one of the key things I picked up is that airbrush makeup can either be water or silicone based and this can be quite a factor in how they work and the skin types they suit. It's well worth reading up on. I'm not sure which of the two airbase or dinair is, I haven't tried them.
I do remember my tutor saying about water or silicone based.. I'll have to see if I can dig out my booklet she gave me.

IMHO It can be quite flaffy to do airbrush make up but i do believe there is an artform to it. My advice is practice on yourself, get comfortable using different compressors for the amount of pressure adjustment. It's all in the wrist haha! I personally find the coverage caters a more invisible flawless look, i do find it does last much longer than other foundations, but that's because i forget its it on. very breathable. I think using airbrush as foundation/contour/blusher/bronzing is brilliant as a fundamental base for photos/tv. For the eyes, its a bit hit and miss and i think some eye-shadows just pip it to the post. hths xoxo

I learnt airbrush using Temptu (silicone based), then purchased a Dinair (water based) and have since gone back to Temptu Air.

Absolutely love the Temptu Air using the pods, no more cleaning.

The silicone based ones work really well with a base primer if you have oily skin, otherwise you're likely to get shine.

The Dinair is very matte unless you finish with the dewy spray. I find the Temptu more natural looking. As another poster put above, great for contouring and does last well.

I like the way you can conceal blemishes with the airbrush, which works really well for photography.

Keep practising achieving the flawless base. [emoji4]

I retrained in airbase last year.
I originally trained over 12 years ago and I didn't like it then but over the past year I've had so many enquiries that I decided to retrain.
Since I have, every single bride I've had, has choosen airbrush over traditional method. I offer both and they trial both but so far all have chosen airbrush. I still use traditional methods for eyes as I didn't really rate airbrush for the eyes. Great on the skin though and I have found that I've had a lot of new business as a result. Hth x

I've been umming and aaahing about getting a new airbrush. I have the Dinair one but I don't really rate either the brush or the formula of their water-based foundation. We used Airbase when I did my training at School of Makeup and I didn't really like it on myself, but that's mainly because I have quite bad skin so the tutor put several layers on and it looked very mask-like!

However, I've just recently discovered that there is a good alternative and that's Face Atelier. I signed up for their pro discount programme (which, incidentally, is pretty good - sign up online, free membership, 40% discount - you do have to order direct from them in Canada, but the shipping cost covers all your duties etc so nothing more to pay on receipt of the parcel - it's worth it if you're making a reasonable size order). When I went to order some shades of the Ultra Foundation (which is amazing, the best I've ever tried and I use it all the time now) I saw that they make a thinner that enables you to put it through an airbrush. It's a silicone based foundation so you would need to make sure that your gun was suitable for silicone based products, but the great thing is it's loads cheaper than Airbase (with discount) and it's a great product to use with a manual brush too so I don't have to buy separate airbrush products. You can also use the thinner as a mixing medium to make powder products into cremes/liquids (although I haven't even taken it out of the box yet so can't give a review of how effective it is - imagine it's good though, Face Atelier in general make fantastic quality products).

I haven't ordered an airbrush yet (the Dinair one won't be any good as it's for water based foundations) but I think I will, as everyone seems to want airbrush and there aren't that many offering it in my area. Just thought I'd share the tip for those thinking about doing airbrush.

Latest posts

Back