Allergic Reaction - My Options

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherubs

Reaction score
I'm so gutted after years of struggling to do nails and then finally getting my certificate I think somewhere along the line i've stupidly over exposed myself and now am allergic to my acrylic :cry:
My finger ends get really itchy and I get tiny little blisters that seem to take ages to heal.
I normally use Ezflow so I thought I'd try NSI but the same thing happens :irked:
As some of you know I only do my own nails so suggesting wearing gloves etc isn't an option!
Will I have to give up nails all together or is it worth me trying Gel?

I can't believe this is happening i'm so upset with myself and the thought of all those years going to waste :cry:

Just bumping this up really but i've been having a look at the ingredients in the monomers that I have and that have caused this reaction when i've used them, the 1st one in each monomer is Ethyl Methacrylate, now i'm really outta my depth with all this :eek: but I have 2 other monomers 1 being the one I trained with that have Acrylic Ester Monomers listed as the 1st ingredient. Could my reaction be due to Ethyl Methacrylate? are they the same thing? related in some way???
I've tried googling it but none of it makes any sense to me :confused:
Basically I just need to know if these 2 ingredients are the same??

Just to mention I never got any reaction to my original monomer (the one that I trained with) but havn't used this in such a long time so maybe I could be allergic now????

I also realise that it could be down to my primer but to be honest I have a feeling it's not :confused:

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me as I really don't want to have to stop doing my nails :cry::cry:

Hello, Cherubs! Sorry to hear you have problem like that :cry:
I had a signs of allergy last year (that what I thought), but fortunately in my case it was just a chilblains, so I could continue to do the work I love.
About EMA:
All of the traditional acrylic liquids that are available through main stream sources contain EMA Ethyl Methacrylate, which is free of the hazards if used with proper techniques. EMA was developed for use in the nail industry for application of acrylic nails.
The only way to develop this sensitivity/allergy is by prolonged exposure to uncured product. If you touch your skin with product, swipe around the edges with your brush... Anything like that, exposure of your SKIN to uncured product (liquid monomer, uncured gel) will at some point create a sensitivity to it.
Please somebody correct me If I'm wrong.

Hopefully you don't have an allergy but you probably better to see a doctor and make some test.
Finger crossed!!!

Just bumping this up really but i've been having a look at the ingredients in the monomers that I have and that have caused this reaction when i've used them, the 1st one in each monomer is Ethyl Methacrylate, now i'm really outta my depth with all this :eek: but I have 2 other monomers 1 being the one I trained with that have Acrylic Ester Monomers listed as the 1st ingredient. Could my reaction be due to Ethyl Methacrylate? are they the same thing? related in some way???
I've tried googling it but none of it makes any sense to me :confused:
Basically I just need to know if these 2 ingredients are the same??

Just to mention I never got any reaction to my original monomer (the one that I trained with) but havn't used this in such a long time so maybe I could be allergic now????

I also realise that it could be down to my primer but to be honest I have a feeling it's not :confused:

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me as I really don't want to have to stop doing my nails :cry::cry:

The only way you can possibly tell which chemical you are sensitive to is a patch test that, if requested, should be sent to you by the company who supplies your products. Then you will need to take that to your doctor to administer it.

As for gels, you are even more likely to be allergic to them as they are even easier to come into contact with your skin.

'Wraps' is the system least likely to cause a reaction (as long as it is not the adhesive to which you are allergic).

Patch test first and then decide about which system to go for.

hi just a thought how about coving finger with the wrap stuff that nsi do to protect your own acrylics while doing others then it wont have anything touching it for it to react xx

Hi there. I am highly allergic to any light cured system - if I touch it at all, I am in trouble. I love l&p - having said that, if I am not paying attention and rest my hand on my wiping pad, I end up with contact dermititis due to overexposure. The itch and burn goes away in a few days, but is very painful. I know I just have to be careful not to repeatedly touch the product to my skin. Have you tried using gloves while working on others? This will definitely limit your exposure, so maybe your skin won't react when you do your own. Just a thought! Good luck

Try ..Gloves in a bottle..you can buy it on Ebay, its like a hand cream, acts as a barrier,better than wearing gloves.:)

Thanks everyone for your replies :hug:
I only do my own nails so wearing gloves is a no no!

It's weird, I did my right hand but it's 2 fingers on my left hand that have blistered and that have blistered in the past when i've done my nails?? I realise it's probably just a matter of time till it's happening on all fingers on both hands :irked:.

I've changed the monomer that I was using to one I have from Nailite, it has a different ingredient listed (I think) to the other/s that I normally use. So far so good but it's difficult to tell because my fingers are already sore on the pads :cry: but there's no new itching on the new nails that i've done and normally my thumb would itch a little around the cuticle :confused:

I suppose I won't know for sure untill my fingers have fully recovered and I do a new set??

After everything i've been through and the time it's taken me to get where I am this ISN'T gonna beat me:irked:

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back