Allergic to acrylates, what shall I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy chick

Reaction score
I have been doing nails and beauty now for 9 years with no allergy problems, however:

I have had contact dermatitis since last xmas, and this week, after 3 visits to the dermatologist this week for allergy testing, i have been diagnosed with an allergy to Acrylates (the field of acrylics etc..)

So the 4 items I reacted to were: Hydroxyethyl Methacrylate, Hydroxypropyl Methacrylate (found in both CND retention + liquid and gelish base coat), Ethyleneglycol Dimethacrylate and Hydroxyethyl Acrylate.

So my question is this, are there any products out there that I can use for acrylic nails that dont contain the above items?

I'm doubting it very much, but before I alter my whole working career drastically, I thought i would ask.

I use barrier creams and nitrile gloves too so already put a protection between myself and my products, but i still have soreness.

I do use Shellac and CND builder gels but these are not as popular for me than CND acrylic and gelish .

Any positive advice welcome. :|

Hi, I'm sorry I don't have any advice I just wanted to wish you luck in finding some products x

Hope your hands get better soon (I know you can never get rid but hope you can get something to help them ease)

Can you request some MSDS sheets from nail suppliers and see if there is anything you can use ?
Good luck with managing your allergy.

If you can use CND products then you can sell your clients on using it. Sing the praises of how CND gels and Shellac are more hypoallergenic . You are a walking testimonial to the greatness of CND! You are looking out for the clients's safety by only using the best for them. Have a hand out to give every client. Market yourself as a technician we knows her stuff and will only use the most hypoallergenic products available. Offer a special to l and p users to switch to Brisa. Come on Hippy Chick, work it :)

Anyone else please?

Do you want the news fast or slow ?
Acrylates are acrylates, (it's a huge family of chemicals in the nail industry) gloves would be my suggestion, a vacuum desk, an oxygen tent, sorry, it's not good news.

Nail zoo, what is an oxygen tent?

Please try SNS SIMPLICITY NAIL SYSTEM from Canada...it helped me with my allergy :)

I remember some time ago on here that a tech was using Derma Sheild every time she was using acrylic she had good results. hope you find what your looking for.xx

Thank you every one, ordered extraction unit and more nitrile gloves, hopefully this will work xx

Latest posts

Back