allergic to nails????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretty pink

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know this sounds a bit strange but i have been working in a local nail salon for the last 6 months. I do suffer from mild asthma from time to timeand use my blue puffer as and when needed. The thing that is worrying me is that when i get home i have a runny nose and sneeze a lot.:cry: The girls obviously have noticed this as a sneezing fit infront f a client is not easily hidden!!! I'm normally bad in the morning and at bed time. I use a small vent in the desk to help with dust (i'm not convinced it really does much!!) and have been using the brush on resin activator rather than the spray one for fibreglass.

Does anyone else have the same problem as me? And if so what do u do to help? I was thinking about getting a purex desk, would they help?

I absolutly love doing nails and my dream is to have my own salon within the next year or so, but i'm wondering if i need to re-think things now?!

Many Thanks for ur help

x x x

I always use gloves and a earloop mask when I am filing. We learn that at school. More and more techs (at least here in the netherlands) develop an allergy.
I only waer my ear loop mask with the filing.
By the way I work with gel en uv-l&p. (not with mma).

Minette

Every manufacturer recommends that technicians use local extraction ventilation.

Spend the right amount to get a GOOD effective system .. many many are not.

Invest in your health and remember that NO dust of ANY kind is good for humans to breathe into their lungs.

Thanks everyone for your replies!!

Much appreciated x x

Hi doll- i am an asthmatic, and a extraction ventilator is the way to go- I paired mine with an air ionizer- nose running stopped, breathing resumed normally.

A mask never helped me much, just broke me out in a ring around my face lol.

The girls you are in school with are getting allergies? Did a Dr. specializing in Allergies diagnose them? Something to look into... Most of the time it isnt an allergy, its an overexposure issue, and you need to make sure you are practicing safely- NEVER touch the skin with uncured products- this includes L&P, gel, AND fabric!!! An allergy has to be built up, it cannot appear overnight. As someone that HAS been diagnosed with a TON of severe allergies, I can tell ya that it was not an overnight process. I suffered a bit of overexposure quite a few years ago, before I learned how to use my product more SAFELY.
Go buy "Nail Structure and Product Chemistry," it taught me everything that beauty school DIDN'T teach me :)

Latest posts

Back