Allergies

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suse82

Reaction score
I have a new client just contacted me for a cut and colour, for bleach and tone which is obviously no problem at all but she has told me she is allergic to methylchloroisothiazolinone also known as MCI and is also allergic to linalool. I've read up on these ingredients and they seem to be in everything! The first one is a preservative and the 2nd is natural found in oils and even foods. Does anyone have any experience with allergies to these ingredients I'm just trying to get as much info as I can before replying to this client. Thanks

Not sure about that allergy but I have a client who developed a persulphate allergy from bleach. Her face swelled up and her hands went bright red. I had always believed that you didn't have to patch test for bleach but now I do as that experience scared the life out of me!

Why don't you patch test just in case but also contact your colour house and ask them specifically about that allergen.

Not sure about that allergy but I have a client who developed a persulphate allergy from bleach. Her face swelled up and her hands went bright red. I had always believed that you didn't have to patch test for bleach but now I do as that experience scared the life out of me!

Why don't you patch test just in case but also contact your colour house and ask them specifically about that allergen.

How do you patch test with bleach? Do you mix it with developer as I imagine this would irritate the skin? How long do you leave it for?

I do the same as with a colour. Inside of the elbow.

Just away to phone them now, but I was thinking it's not just the colour I'd have to watch for as they can be found in shampoos and styling products too.

Totally! We used to use Avesta and another of my clients had a nut allergy... Aveda contains nut oils! It's a minefield out there. Definitely check with your colour house and if they can't give you a definite answer, don't do it. It seriously isn't worth it.

Latest posts

Back