Allergy to Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nat-Nat

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a client build up an intolerance to Shellac? I've had a client since last Christmas and no problems. Yesterday I went to Shellac her and she was telling me since September she's been regularly every two weeks waking up with badly swollen eyes, she showed me pics they were terrible! They will only go down with steroids from the doctors!

She's been trying to work out what it was and it does sound fishy that its every 2 weeks! This morning she's text me to say its happened again and the dates match up to her last 3 shellac apts so it doesn't sound good! I purposely left off solar oil at end, bad I know but just wanted to see if it was poss due to nut in that but it's still happened!

Has anyone ever had this happen? She said she's devastated if its her nails as she loves having them done! I'll be gutted too as she's a reg client and friend!!

Has anyone ever had a client build up an intolerance to Shellac? I've had a client since last Christmas and no problems. Yesterday I went to Shellac her and she was telling me since September she's been regularly every two weeks waking up with badly swollen eyes, she showed me pics they were terrible! They will only go down with steroids from the doctors!

She's been trying to work out what it was and it does sound fishy that its every 2 weeks! This morning she's text me to say its happened again and the dates match up to her last 3 shellac apts so it doesn't sound good! I purposely left off solar oil at end, bad I know but just wanted to see if it was poss due to nut in that but it's still happened!

Has anyone ever had this happen? She said she's devastated if its her nails as she loves having them done! I'll be gutted too as she's a reg client and friend!!

What lamp are you using to cure Shellac?

Anyone can become allergic to anything and although Shellac is hypoallergenic that doesn't mean no one will ever develop a sensitivity to it.

Equally, she could be sensitive to other things like something in the remover or some other prep product. But if it is happening every 2 weeks then I would try her on VINYLUX or regular polish For a couple of weeks and see if there is a difference.

If you are not using the CND Lamp then that could be the cause of her problem as her Shellac will not have been fully cured. If you are using the correct lamp, then have you changed your bulbs recently? How old are they?

Hi Geeg, how very dare you of course I'm using the CND lamp lol I know my onions I'm a good girl me lol! Xx There's over 45 hours left in my lamp and I turned the bulbs just last week.

It doesn't sound great I know but that's a good idea re the Vinylux I will try that on her and see what happens next time! Thanks xx

Hi Geeg, how very dare you of course I'm using the CND lamp lol I know my onions I'm a good girl me lol! Xx There's over 45 hours left in my lamp and I turned the bulbs just last week.

It doesn't sound great I know but that's a good idea re the Vinylux I will try that on her and see what happens next time! Thanks xx
Bless !! Sorry for doubting !! :hug:

If it is something in the remover, she could still have a reaction next time but I would still use it ... Then the following appointment use perhaps a non acetone remover with the VINYLUX ... That would tend to pinpoint the remover.

If she has no reaction the first time, that would tend to pinpoint something in the Shellac.

Thanks Geeg I'm going to see her later and remove the Shellac and put Vinylux on so fingers crossed xx

Thanks Geeg I'm going to see her later and remove the Shellac and put Vinylux on so fingers crossed xx
What if it is the remover? I would be inclined to wait before I put her sore hands into remover again after such a short time?

Once Shellac has been cured, she wouldn't be allergic to it; it would be inert once cured. It is when uncured that she would have reacted to it, if she did. There really is no need to remove until next time .. What's done is done now. I would be hesitant at this stage to do anything.

Okay thanks Geeg good point! Actually it's not her hands that have reacted its her eyes! X

Okay thanks Geeg good point! Actually it's not her hands that have reacted its her eyes! X

That means she is touching them! Perhaps she has a habit of touching her eyes which she/no one should ever do soon after polish has been applied .

My daughter used to do that after manicures and the formaldehyde in the polish used to make her eyes swell up and she used to touch her neck and get red marks. It never happened the next day, only the first day. This makes me think it is not Shellac more the remover. But in any case She should wash immediately after the treatment next time and avoid touching her face.

Last edited:
Thanks Geeg, I've been to see her. We're going to leave it till her next apt, soak them off and give her a regular polish/Vinylux if she still comes up then it's remover not Shellac and if she doesn't vice versa! X

Latest posts

Back