Alopecia Areata and nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplebunnies

Reaction score
Wonder if any one can help.

My friend has Alopecia Areata and wants me to do a set of enhancements on her. My question is Alopecia affects keterin which as we all know is what your hair and nails are made of.

Her nails seem to shed like her hair so is it ok to put enhancements on or is it not a soild enough foundation as to speak.

I want to make sure one way or the other if i can do it, other wise i will suggest regular manicures as her hair is slowing growning back i think very ''conditioning'' of the nail may improve things.

Speaking as someone who has had alopecia, I see no reason why it should effect enhancements, the blood is not reaching the hair follicles causing the hair to fall out, I never had any problems with my nails at the time and I had complete hair loss from it at the age of 21 which took about a year to grow back, I still get patches occasionally though never again have I lost it all, I had a large patch about two months ago but I was able to pin point the cause, my nails were unaffected and I continued to wear my enhancements.:)

Just found this information on alopcia, no mention of nails though..

Current evidence suggests that alopecia areata is caused by an abnormality in the immune system. This particular abnormality leads to autoimmunity. As a result, the immune system attacks particular tissues of the body. In alopecia areata, for unknown reasons, the body's own immune system attacks the hair follicles and disrupts normal hair formation. Biopsies of affected skin show immune cells inside of the hair follicles where they are not normally present. What causes this is unknown. Alopecia areata is sometimes associated with other autoimmune conditions such as allergic disorders, thyroid disease, vitiligo, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and ulcerative colitis. Sometimes, alopecia areata occurs within family members, suggesting a role of genes and heredity.

May I say how interesting this thread is, although I have absolutely nothing to contribute to it, through lack of knowledge on the subject.
You learn something new every day..........well I do!:)
Thanks guys!

Just found this information on alopcia, no mention of nails though..

Current evidence suggests that alopecia areata is caused by an abnormality in the immune system. This particular abnormality leads to autoimmunity. As a result, the immune system attacks particular tissues of the body. In alopecia areata, for unknown reasons, the body's own immune system attacks the hair follicles and disrupts normal hair formation. Biopsies of affected skin show immune cells inside of the hair follicles where they are not normally present. What causes this is unknown. Alopecia areata is sometimes associated with other autoimmune conditions such as allergic disorders, thyroid disease, vitiligo, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and ulcerative colitis. Sometimes, alopecia areata occurs within family members, suggesting a role of genes and heredity.

Thanks Jacqui. I have been searching the internet constantly for a few days and cant find anything to do with nails either.

Also her hair loss was due to a reaction she had with fertility drugs, dont know if that makes a difference, but the doctor diagnosed her with Alopecia and not a drug reaction.

Hope you dont mind me asking but did your nails ''shed'' so to speak

No, my nails were absolutly fine:)

Latest posts

Back